Menu
Rigadn
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Static IP address

Does anyone know how to configure the V6 to work with a static IP address? I need this so that it continues to work with my set up in the same way that my old TIVO box did

Generic TIVO guides like this one http://support.mytivo.com.au/index.php?action=artikel&cat=40&id=74#WiredAU2  suggest there will be an IP address screen when changing network settings but I don't see this. Once I connect the ethernet connection the IP address is (dynamically) allocated automatically.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Static IP address

You should be able to assign a permanent IP address to the V6 box in the settings for your Superhub, rather than from the V6 box, go to 192.168.0.1 in a web browser and there's a setting in there somewhere! 

stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

further to Tavis75's answer. It is always better to use the router to assign a fixed ip address then to setup one statically in the device you are connecting as that can lead to clashes amongst other things, if not done properly.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If you set up an address in your router it is NOT a fixed IP address, it's a reserved DHCP address. You will still get DHCP traffic on your network every time a "renew" is issued and you should get the reserved address every time, although it is not guaranteed. If you know enough about setting a fixed address in a device your should be able set it up so there will never be any duplicate addresses. That said, at the moment I have not yet been able to set up a fixed address in my V6, it's just greyed out. On my return to the UK I will be investigating further.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos