Menu
digitalmad
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Some details on my V6 boxes and Hub 3.

have just had my services updated with two new V6 boxes and new Hub 3, so I can now give some details to what happens in a fix and what the box does etc...

VM has not fully given there tech full knowledge to how the box works and what items are extras to be added to your bill....

1) He did not know were the Wi Fi signal % was in the log on screens and I had point it out for him.

2) Yes the box use your Wi Fi and that's why a Hub 3 is needed and Hub also has two TV Network sockets on top of normal network cable plugs. So you V6 can be linked by cable or Wi Fi.

3) VM Tech only had two power plugs in his van but as he did not know if they were free or cost for customers that  have they Hub and V6 are too far a part to be linked by Wi Fi ...etc.. the VM power plugs do not have a plug socket to allow you to still use the wall socket for other items  one has an Wi Fi  and other has network plugs for cable.

The new box has a smaller remote but the same shape with smaller buttons and few taken away ( text & enlarge small screen ) added buttons search.

The box gives you a choice of network cable fix or Wi Fi at the start and once you added the pass code to your Hub 3 the box remember the code for good as I powered one of my boxes to see if that was the case.

The Wi Fi has signal  at BAD, GOOD, EXCELLENT in %

The Box has  USB,  HDMI,  Power socket which also as small box like old box had but without light network cable socket ( which can also be used to link to another box without using your network ), the cable socket has been replaced by an older aerial  socket so needs a extra link cable to join box with screw cable.

The box now use TV companies logo in the small and large TV guide which is nice to see and brings more colour to the screen.

Yes it has 6 Turners numbered from 0 to 5 .

software version :  20.5.8.RC12-VMB-11-C68

Yes you can rename your V6 box like in the pass but now they give list that may like to use eg

Living Room , Kitchen, Lounge, bedroom, master bedroom, kids room, play room & office

The box does work faster then old boxes .

The HUB 3 is much better then old Hub 2 which was easy to knock over then the wider based Hub 3 which also has less lights the hub 2.

it comes with three sticky labels which has your new hub number and code to link your V6 box and other items.

range of Wi Fi is better then old hub too.

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

Telewest
Dialled in
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Some details on my V6 boxes and Hub 3.

Yes the box is faster than the original Tivo boxes are and start faster too and the colour channels details are better too.

The box also works well with the new hub 3 with better Wi Fi then older hubs.

Now I am just putting all the Xmas shows into the V6 to record. ...

Nice box ...

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

So is a Hub 3 required? I asked this earlier and was told that a Hub 2 would do.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The only reason I can see for a preference of the SH3 would be wireless performance, but if you're wiring the V6 to the hub (either directly or via powerline), then it shouldn't matter as long as 100Mbps can be supported.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

PrinterElf wrote:

The only reason I can see for a preference of the SH3 would be wireless performance, but if you're wiring the V6 to the hub (either directly or via powerline), then it shouldn't matter as long as 100Mbps can be supported.

Thanks, that's what I thought and, as I am wired,via switches,  it should not be an issue (I hope).

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Leyland
Dialled in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

. . . and if you don't have Virgin Broadband?

__
2 x TiVo 1TB & 512GB - XL Package | BT Infinity :-) | Retired IT Professional :-) :-)
0 Kudos
Telewest
Dialled in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The hub 3 is designed with the two TV network sockets on top of the four normal network socket. ..
The Wi Fi is better than hub 2 so V6 can link easier. ..

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Leyland wrote:

. . . and if you don't have Virgin Broadband?

You currently need Virgin Broadband to get the V6 as far as I'm aware - there is a minimum requirement of 100Mbps.

Telewest wrote:
The hub 3 is designed with the two TV network sockets on top of the four normal network socket. ..
The Wi Fi is better than hub 2 so V6 can link easier. ..

The top two sockets on the Hub 3.0 are for a future phone service, not TV.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

Thanks, that's what I thought and, as I am wired,via switches,  it should not be an issue (I hope).

I'm wired with switches and no problems here. Just told the engineer to plug it into one of my switches.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

frank_gm wrote:

I'm wired with switches and no problems here. Just told the engineer to plug it into one of my switches.

Thanks for the info.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos