Menu
dazmon
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Signal Strength V6

Hi all,

Had two V6 boxes installed yesterday (by engineer) and signal strength is showing as 20% (poor) on both boxes; upstairs box very near to hub (also supplied a new Superhub 3.0).  Engineer suggested not bothering with any range extenders unless the boxes drop their connections, but wondering if anyone has any experience on whether these can improve the strength sufficiently (pretty old large detached house with thick walls).

Didn't watch anything last night, but also noticed the dreaded over-utilsation problem again in my area in the last couple of months; anyone any experience as to whether this impacts the V6 boxes?  If it does wondering whether to migrate to Sky whilst I'm in the 'cooling off' period, even though I've been with VM for years now.

Cheers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Signal Strength V6

Can you connect the V6s by ethernet? That is the best way if possible. You can also use powerline adapters if they are all on the same circuit.

I have 1 V6 ethernet to HUB, 1 Tivo, ethernet to a powerline adapter 1 V6 to a wifi extender via ethernet.. all seem to work well and I can see all boxes from each other (I also have 1 Tivo which I didn't connect at all as I have no need to see shows from that box.

dazmon
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet connections wouldn't really be feasible for either box due the size of the house; even the one in the bedroom is a long distance from the upstairs office (where the hub is).  When ordering these customer services had indicated the engineer might relocate the hub but he hasn't.

Thanks for the reply though Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Then the next best option would be powerline adapters if you are short on sockets you can get passthrough (think that is what it's called) where you can plug another item into it so still have use of the socket. Use ethernet cables into the powerline adaters or try the wifi extenders with ethernet connection.