Menu
Dal
Tuning in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Should i jump ship ? is sky the limit

With Sky being able to offer me a much better deal should I go for their new box or hold on and see what Virgin can offer me on their new box?.  I've been with virgin for More years that I can remember but the costs just get higher and higher. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Should i jump ship ? is sky the limit

Do you want someone to confirm what you have decided yourself?

Assuming you have laid out all of the pros and cons in your post, you can be sure that Virgin Media will certainly not be able to match Sky's new customer deal on price with the new box and price seems to be important to you.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I switched to Sky a few weeks back (well the TV anyway, they haven't managed to get the phone and internet up and running yet), purely on the basis of the deal I was offered (£47.50 per month incl. line rental for phone, 40mb internet and a full TV package including sports and movies).

The Q box is definitely faster than the TiVo box (no idea how it compares to the V6), but I definitely miss a lot of the TiVo features, it's amazing how annoying not having the skip-back after fast-forwarding feature is, the loss of wishlists is a shame, it seems like they haven't sorted the issue of series links being forgotten when a series ends and clashes have to be resolved manually. Also, the remote management app seems a lot weaker, as far as I can see all you can do is set things to record, you can't see what has been recorded, or view upcoming recordings.

Generally, my feeling is that once my year is up and the price of the package goes up to it's proper cost (a £60 increase) I'll be switching back to Virgin. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

With six tuners, clashing on V6 is unlikely, even for someone like me who records many programs at 9pm. I may even be able to put padding back on for all recordings.

0 Kudos
gordy66
Up to speed
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Don't talk rubbish.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

gordy66 wrote:
Don't talk rubbish.

If that was directed at me, @gordy66, can you please explain what rubbish you think I was talking?

The V6 has six tuners, all of which can record concurrently.

0 Kudos
gordy66
Up to speed
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

No it was the guy who said sky broadband is great and pays only a fraction of the price, both ridiculously funny.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

gordy66 wrote:
No it was the guy who said sky broadband is great and pays only a fraction of the price, both ridiculously funny.

My apology. Always best to quote if your response is not immediately after a post.

Here is a picture from TV Anywhere which you may find interesting. Count how many programs are recording at 9pm on Wednesday.

image.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie_C, 

Are you sure you haven't posted a picture of my series links? It looks very similar indeed Smiley Wink

You have good taste! 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Yes, Kath. I'd need a few more tuners if we ever got Sky Atlantic.

Last EVER Rizzoli & Isles too.

Anyway, no TV tonight - Andy Murray to watch!

0 Kudos