Menu
oldcanon
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Should I leave my V^ in standby or switch off?

I had the new modem + 2 V6 boxes installed today but recieved no operating instructions or manual and the hlp section is devoid of operating information

My first question is, I have two boxes, one hard wired, adjacent to my modem and second upstairs, connected to the white coax cable but set-up downstairs using the wired connection

I normally leave the downstairs box on standby but in the past switched off my upstairs Tivo box off overnight.

When I did that with the V6 box upstairs then switched it back on again I got the message that it was disconnected from the network and some services would not be available (but normal TV and recording seems to be working OK)

Two questions:

1 does this mean that the box needs to be left on but in stand-by all the time

2 - is any action needed to respond to the network disconnect message?

Thanks in advance for any guidance (and were can I find some proper operating instrcutions?)

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Should I leave my V^ in standby or switch off?

oldcanon wrote:

I do have a networked hub connect from the Virgin super hub downstairs that my computer, printer, Network drive etc are connected to so I believe I should be able to run an Ethernet cable from it to the V6 but will this require a tech visit or just a reboot? 

Should not require either as the V6 will switch to the Ethernet connection as soon as you plug in the Ethernet cable.  Mine is wired to a network switch that I sometimes power down and the V6 switches to a wireless connection and then back to Ethernet when I power up the switch.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

SCA1972 wrote:

oldcanon wrote:

I do have a networked hub connect from the Virgin super hub downstairs that my computer, printer, Network drive etc are connected to so I believe I should be able to run an Ethernet cable from it to the V6 but will this require a tech visit or just a reboot? 

Should not require either as the V6 will switch to the Ethernet connection as soon as you plug in the Ethernet cable.  Mine is wired to a network switch that I sometimes power down and the V6 switches to a wireless connection and then back to Ethernet when I power up the switch.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I have exactly the same setup and it works, I can confirm that it is easy to switch.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!

All Replies
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

oldcanon wrote:

I had the new modem + 2 V6 boxes installed today but recieved no operating instructions or manual and the hlp section is devoid of operating information

My first question is, I have two boxes, one hard wired, adjacent to my modem and second upstairs, connected to the white coax cable but set-up downstairs using the wired connection

I normally leave the downstairs box on standby but in the past switched off my upstairs Tivo box off overnight.

When I did that with the V6 box upstairs then switched it back on again I got the message that it was disconnected from the network and some services would not be available (but normal TV and recording seems to be working OK)

Two questions:

1 does this mean that the box needs to be left on but in stand-by all the time

2 - is any action needed to respond to the network disconnect message?

Thanks in advance for any guidance (and were can I find some proper operating instrcutions?)

The Tivo was always designed to be left on/standby and that is true also for the V6. The V6 also needs a permanent network connection, in principle, but will normally cope when re-connected to the network (I have tested that). 

However, if it is switched off and then switched back on without a network connection then that would probably explain the network disconnect message.

My advice is that you should keep the V6 in standby when not in use and ensure that it is connected to the network on at least a regular basis if you cannot do so permanently.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
oldcanon
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thanks Frank, makes sense. The tech who installed it seemed to suggest it was only possible to connect it by installing it downstairs then switching it off and moving it into position upstairs just using WiFi

(sorry, pretty basic questions I guess but in all the time I have had virgin boxes installed I have never had any clear instruction or manual on the installation or use so at 75, I'm finding it all a bit confusing)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

oldcanon wrote:

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

SCA1972 wrote:

oldcanon wrote:

I have exactly the same setup and it works, I can confirm that it is easy to switch.

¡No Pasarán!
oldcanon
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thanks Both, I now need to locate a spare socket (I just remembered  I have replaced the old router with a faster switch so it should work better )

0 Kudos
oldcanon
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

just a quick update to complete the story, I located a spare Ethernet cable of the right length, plugged it into my last spare socket on the switch, plugged it into the back of the V6 and the connection was completed almost instantly - thanks again