Menu
bheart
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

*** Setting up v6 box for wireless

Hi

We had our VM services installed yesterday and we have 2 v6 boxes! The main box is set up in our front room and has an ethernet cable connected between the first v6 box and the hub.

The 2nd v6 box is in another and, it has no other devices connected to it!

I’ve been reading in these forums that you can set the v6 boxes up wirelessly but, I would like the second box to work wirelessly, can this be done?

To save me using the long length of cable that the engineer used, can any members please explain how I can connect the 2nd box to the hub, wirelessly?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: *** Setting up v6 box for wireless

Its not possible to set the v6 up wireless, you need the white cable
0 Kudos
bheart
Joining in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for your reply!

You say that the v6 boxes cannot be set up in wireless mode - i.e. without using ethernet cable?

That's not what I've been reading in these forums!  Here is just one post from Kath_F, Forum Moderator and dated February 2017:

----------------------------------->

Re: V6 Connection to Hub via Wi-FI

Hi jonathanpye, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that the engineer didn't show you how to connect the box via wifi Smiley Sad 

As mentioned by Graham_A, you will need to remove the Ethernet Cable before you can connect via Wifi. This is because the box will override any other connection if it detects an ethernet cable. 

Once the ethernet is disconnected, you can connect to wifi following these steps: Help & Settings > Settings > Network > Change Network Settings > Other options > Connect to Wifi

If you have any further issues, pop back and let me know.

-------------------------------------->

The v6 boxes are wireless, as is the Hub so, unless Kath_F has given out incorrect information, I don't see why not!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Remove the Ethernet cable from the V6.

Navigate to

Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network > Change Network Settings

0 Kudos
bheart
Joining in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie, yes I’ve seen this info many times in these forums and, I actually quoted Kath_F but, I’m quite happy having the “main v6 box” (the box that gets used most) wired to the Hub but, can we still have our 2nd v6 box that’s installed on our back room, set up wirelessly?

I guess the question should be, when the ethernet cable is removed from the between the main v6 box and the Hub, is it possible to connect one v6 or both v6 boxes wirelessly to the Hub?

If so, should both boxes be renamed using different names?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

You can connect both Virgin TV V6 boxes to the Hub via wireless for networking if you wished.

However all Virgin TV V6 boxes still need a coax connection.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Although I'm still unclear as to what your actual question or issue is, I concur with what Ben has said.

Each V6 requires both a co-ax connection to the cable network and a connection to your home network Superhub.

The latter can be either direct Ethernet cable, powerline adapters, or wifi, in any combination.

If using wifi, you need to be sure that it provides a stable connection.

BTW My initial response answered the question you posed - how to swap a V6 connection from direct Ethernet cable to wifi.

0 Kudos
bheart
Joining in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I do realise that all v6 boxes require the coax connection!

As my 2nd v6 box is in another room, to save me running a long ethernet cable from the hub to the 2nd box, I would like it to be a wireless connection and, then leave the 1st v6 box connected to the hub with an Ethernet cable!

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I don't understand why you haven't connected the second V6 wirelessly and see how well it works.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Virgin engineers don't run Ethernet so not sure how the install was done not with WiFi
0 Kudos