Menu
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Series Link ‘The A Word’ failed?

Ernie_C wrote:

Although I don't know how the TiVo software creates the separate recordings from the 'single' recording, I can guess that your scenario, where you start watching a recording which overlaps with one still recording, may not have been correctly coded.

Personally, I would avoid watching a recording until all consecutive recordings on the same channel are fully complete.

Unfortunately, I know in the cases where I saw it that I didn't watch the recordings until the next day, though on thinking about it, it did happen two weeks running with the same program (Man Down, following on from Grand Designs) but other weeks were fine, but can't remember if there was anything else that was recording or going on those two particular weeks that was different to other weeks.

Wonder if it could be if the channel being recorded is also the live TV channel at the time even if it's not being watched, though again can't remember if that was the case.

deans6571
Super solver
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Tavis75 wrote:

Ernie_C wrote:

Although I don't know how the TiVo software creates the separate recordings from the 'single' recording, I can guess that your scenario, where you start watching a recording which overlaps with one still recording, may not have been correctly coded.

Personally, I would avoid watching a recording until all consecutive recordings on the same channel are fully complete.

Wonder if it could be if the channel being recorded is also the live TV channel at the time even if it's not being watched, though again can't remember if that was the case.

.....forgive me for being a little less technical minded on this but what do you mean by that exactly? What do you mean by "....live TV channel"?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The only definition of Live TV would be the tuner that is currently outputting to the HDMI port.

deans6571
Super solver
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

The only definition of Live TV would be the tuner that is currently outputting to the HDMI port.

...so in that case, its highly likely then that the live tv tuner, was indeed, already on BBC ONE HD (as that's the channel we watch most frequently every night).

Couple that with the fact that I was recording 3 back to back programs on that channel, all with 4 mins padding either side, and that I tried to watch a recording of the 3rd program (The A Word), whilst it was still recording.

...perhaps this is the reason the 3rd recording failed?!

Weirdly though, both EastEnders and Holby recorded fine and played-back fine too  - maybe it was just down to the timing that I decided to try and play back the last program, The A Word!

I'll have to keep an eye on this next Tuesday, as my V6 will again, record these very same 3 programs back to back with 4 mins padding either side. It will be interesting to see if the bug repeats itself.

EightBall
Up to speed
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Just for clarification, did you start watching the A word at the beginning whilst it was still live?

0 Kudos
deans6571
Super solver
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

Ernie_C wrote:

...so in that case, its highly likely then that the live tv tuner, was indeed, already on BBC ONE HD (as that's the channel we watch most frequently every night).

Couple that with the fact that I was recording 3 back to back programs on that channel, all with 4 mins padding either side, and that I tried to watch a recording of the 3rd program (The A Word), whilst it was still recording.

...perhaps this is the reason the 3rd recording failed?!

Weirdly though, both EastEnders and Holby recorded fine and played-back fine too  - maybe it was just down to the timing that I decided to try and play back the last program, The A Word!

I'll have to keep an eye on this next Tuesday, as my V6 will again, record these very same 3 programs back to back with 4 mins padding either side. It will be interesting to see if the bug repeats itself.

Well, following my post last week, I have to report that unfortunately, The A Word has failed to record YET AGAIN.

Why is this poxy V6 box SO NAFF?????? ITS BLIMMIN RIDICULOUS HOW USLESS IT TRULY IS  

So again  - THREE Series links scheduled  tonight:

1. EastEnders on BBCONE HD, 7:30pm to 8pm with 4 mins padding either side  

2. Holby on BBCONE HD, 8pm to 9pm with 4 mins padding either side  

3. The A Word on BBCONE HD, 9pm to 10pm with 4 mins padding either side

....and I was watching the football game on ITV the whole evening so wasn’t even watching a recording or the live showing of ANY of these programs  

SO WHY DOES THE A WORD CONTINUE TO FAIL EVERY WEEK??????

I am one step closer to cancelling my V6 tariff altogether (which ends in 3 weeks). 

🤬🤬🤬🤬

deans6571
Super solver
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

....does this mean this is a bug then - i.e. recording 3 consecutive programs on the same channel, with 4 mins padding either side of each program, is making the third program fail??

Can a SuperUser or a VM forum member please comment on this?

deans6571
Super solver
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I want to report this as an official bug, seeing that nobody has responded with possible reasons as to why this is happening.....

So it's primarily happening when at least 3 consecutive programs are recording (all Series Links), back to back, on the same channel, with padding either side of each program (in my case, I had 4 mins padding either side of each program).

When I checked the recording of The A Word last night (I did take a video and posted it on my YouTube channel, however, YouTube deemed it as a Copyright claim and since removed it?!), the red progress bar only goes as far as 8 minutes.

I have uploaded the file to my Dropbox account for you to see:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x92xbaftor3v9m1/V6%20Video%20-%20The%20A%20Word.MOV?dl=0

If you watch the whole clip, you will see the red progress bar is only a little way across which symbolizes that the whole show is not recorded. Then, at around the 1:27 mark in the vid, the video pixelates, and a whole scene is then repeated over again?? A whole scene is looped so we see the same scene TWICE????

Then, at 1:31 in the vid, I pressed the 'Play' button on the remote to show the progress bar  and you will notice that the 'vertical playing line' is back at zero minutes even though the show continues to play...?!?!  I left it playing for a while and the 'vertical playing line' remained at zero even though the show continued to play back for a good 5 minutes.

I didn't leave it to play to see if it had recorded the whole of the show though (I guess I should have but ran out of time!).

This is definitely a bug as this has now happened TWICE with the same 3 programs set to record on the same night:

1. EastEnders: 7-30pm to 8pm on BBC ONE HD; 4 mins padding either side; Series Link

2 Holby: 8pm to 9pm on BBC ONE HD; 4 mins padding either side; Series Link

3. The A Word: 9pm to 10pm on BBC ONE HD; 4 mins padding either side; Series Link

Please can somebody come back to me on this. 

deans6571
Super solver
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but I’m gonna have to keep bumping this until I get a response from VM staff. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

All bumping does is delay your response from Virgin Media.

You have found a bug and supplied good diagnostic information.

In the meanwhile, use the workaround and remove the padding, except perhaps a couple of minutes on the first program at the start to allow for the BBC's inability to start the 7:30 program in time but generally a couple of minutes early.