Menu
Highlighted
deans6571
Super solver
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Series Link ‘The A Word’ failed?

I have a series Link for the BBC One HD drama, The A Word, on Tuesday nights at 9 pm. 

Tonight was the new season so on tv, aired episode 1 of season 2.  I checked my planned recordings before it started and my V6 had indeed picked up this recording. 

Later on in the evening when it had finished, I went to watch it and was presented with this ridiculous monstrosity:

https://youtu.be/Sl3kusXDxvs

You can clearly see by the red progress bar at the bottom, that not even a quarter of the program was recorded. You can clearly see a few minutes of Holby, which was on the same channel before The A Word, and then the recorded program lasts a whopping NINE minutes before it then abruptly ends???? 

Just what is the problem with the useless bit of kit we call the V6????

I’m so glad my contract ends next month as I will be moving my tv package altogether - frankly had enough of the V6 altogether ( can’t record properly, can’t stream properly, etc etc )

Smiley Mad

deans6571
Super solver
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Series Link ‘The A Word’ failed?

....and just to add - NOTHING shows in the recording clashes  and additionally, BOTH EastEnders (BBC ONE HD 7:30pm - 8pm) and Holby (BBC ONE HD 8pm - 9pm) recording fine (both with 4 mins padding either side).

There is absolutely NO explanation.

Smiley Mad 

deans6571
Super solver
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

....so nobody from VM can offer an explanation???? 

Typical. 

Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I have seen this once or twice, seems to be connected to the fix to allow recording of programs following one another on the same channel using only one tuner where they have buffers causing an overlap, seems like you get the part of the recording that overlapped but it is then missing the rest of the program. Previously, recording overlapping programs on the same channel would require the use of two tuners.

Seems like it's recording the overlapping part separately as this needs to become part of two different recordings, but it is then failing to attach the rest of the second recording properly.

Not much help as it looks like it's a bug that occurs intermittently and I haven't spotted any pattern beyond the fact that it is linked to overlapping recordings on the same channel. 

deans6571
Super solver
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Tavis75 wrote:

I have seen this once or twice, seems to be connected to the fix to allow recording of programs following one another on the same channel using only one tuner where they have buffers causing an overlap, seems like you get the part of the recording that overlapped but it is then missing the rest of the program. Previously, recording overlapping programs on the same channel would require the use of two tuners.

Seems like it's recording the overlapping part separately as this needs to become part of two different recordings, but it is then failing to attach the rest of the second recording properly.

Not much help as it looks like it's a bug that occurs intermittently and I haven't spotted any pattern beyond the fact that it is linked to overlapping recordings on the same channel. 

......cheers for that - yep, seems like it probably is an intermittent bug that has no explanation of why its happening. Its the first time I have seen this, which is also strange!!

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Just a thought. Did you watch either live or the recording of Eastenders or Holby City while The A Word was recording?

0 Kudos
deans6571
Super solver
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

Just a thought. Did you watch either live or the recording of Eastenders or Holby City while The A Word was recording?

.....yep, I did indeed watch the recording of Holby that evening (whilst The A Word was recording) and then when I went to watch the recording of The A Word, I got what I posted in the link above.  No other Suggestions were recording at the time as I have these turned off. Also, no other programs were recording that night either (the only recordings that night were EastEnders, Holby and The A Word, all following each other with 4 mins padding either side of each recording. All are Series Links too, if that helps).

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Although I don't know how the TiVo software creates the separate recordings from the 'single' recording, I can guess that your scenario, where you start watching a recording which overlaps with one still recording, may not have been correctly coded.

Personally, I would avoid watching a recording until all consecutive recordings on the same channel are fully complete.

andycowl
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I understand your disappointment. I also like to have my favourite programs safely recorded on HD (ironically because I historically couldn't trust streaming services) but why can't you just use BBC iPlayer to watch this show ?

Vivid 350. SH3, Asus RT-N66U.
0 Kudos
deans6571
Super solver
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

andycowl wrote:

I understand your disappointment. I also like to have my favourite programs safely recorded on HD (ironically because I historically couldn't trust streaming services) but why can't you just use BBC iPlayer to watch this show ?

.....that's exactly what I had to do in the end because the recording failed.