Menu
AndrewC55
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Replace TiVo with V6. Can I keep recordings currently on TiVo?

I have a single TiVo box in my house.

I was contacted today by a Virgin representative offering to replace my TiVo box with a new V6 box. I asked whether recordings on the TiVo box can be transferred onto the V6 box and was told yes.  I asked again whether this included TV programmes currently saved on the TiVo box and again the answer was yes. The representative said there was the one off option to download everything again.  I tried to be as clear as possible by rewording my question as if the answer had been no I would not have accepted the offer.  

I have looked in the forum and all I have found seems to indicate that recordings on the TiVo will be lost as soon as the new box is registered which implies that the representative may have been 'economical with the truth'.  However, I have not found any current responses to this question so the situation may have changed.  I am part way through watching some tv series, and there are a couple that I have recorded that I have not started watching that are a few months old.  

Is there currently a way to transfer unwatched, recorded programmes from the TiVo to the V6, or at least a way of attaching the TiVo to the TV after the V6 has been installed so that I can watch the older recorded programmes?  I don't want to doubt what the representative said but I want to make sure of the situation before I install the V6.  I sometimes wonder if the representatives don't understand my accent enough to understand my question, or vice versa.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Replace TiVo with V6. Can I keep recordings currently on TiVo?

You CANNOT copy recordings between boxes.

You can copy your series links.

If you keep the TiVo, paying the additional monthly charge, you can gain access to the TiVo's recordings from the V6.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In the same situation as you, I kept the TiVo for a few months until I had watched the backlog.

By copying the series link to V6, you let it record future programs.

No need for a TV connected to the TiVo but it does still need connected to the co-ax and to your Superhub.

Additional charge was £7.50 per month for me but it may be less for you by negotiating your bundle with Retentions.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You CANNOT copy recordings between boxes.

You can copy your series links.

If you keep the TiVo, paying the additional monthly charge, you can gain access to the TiVo's recordings from the V6.

0 Kudos
AndrewC55
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. That is not what the representative said and I am not happy. I will probably snot install V6 in that case - or maybe keep it until I am up to date with all my recordings, which could be a very long time as new stuff keeps being recorded.

This is one reason I dislike doing business over the phone - nothing at all in writing.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In the same situation as you, I kept the TiVo for a few months until I had watched the backlog.

By copying the series link to V6, you let it record future programs.

No need for a TV connected to the TiVo but it does still need connected to the co-ax and to your Superhub.

Additional charge was £7.50 per month for me but it may be less for you by negotiating your bundle with Retentions.

0 Kudos
andycowl
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Remember that if a program or series, that you have recorded, is available on OnDemand (BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub etc), you may be able to watch that content (depending on how old the original broadcast is) on Tivo V6.

Vivid 350. SH3, Asus RT-N66U.
0 Kudos
NIJINSKY
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Its not worth updating.

Virgin already added £5/£6 a month to upgrade to Tivo and then another £7.50 for V6 - thats £13 a month , just for extra memory that most people wont use. It's a rip off - I'm paying £87 a month for broadband 200  xl tv (no sports or movies)  and phone line  - its not worth it.. time to move with the way they rip off loyal customers. If retentions dont cut my bill by 30% i'm off!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The Virgin TV V6 box costs no more per month than TiVo does if you have the appropriate TV and Broadband services.

So upgrading from TiVo to V6 for most costs involves one off fees only. It would be only if you needed to move to a different TV and Broadband bundle, or if you're wanting to add a Virgin TV V6 box as an additional box, would there be additional monthly costs.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
AndrewC55
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have contacted Virgin about keeping the TiVo as a second box for a couple of months while I watch the backlog. I am told that I have to have a second TV point installed by an engineer first.  I currently have a single room set-up. The cable splits int to two and goes to the TiVo box and to the broadband hub. We only have one TV so would want to access the TiVo box and V6 box from the same TV.  Is this the route you had to go down too? Presumably the engineer will make the cable split 3 ways instead of two.

I thought I would ask before going ahead with the change and installation, as I have found it very difficult to get a lucid and a consistent solution from Virgin employees to a problem which must be very common. They should have had all the options worked out to respond to customers' enquiries, instead of which I feel that I am the first person to be in this situation and they seem surprised that I want to view the old recordings.

0 Kudos