Menu
Dialled in
Message 1 of 13 (295 Views)

Programming TV remote does not work

I just got a V6 box and am trying to program the remote in order for sound controls to work.

The first step of the instructions says to point the remote away from the TV and V6 box before pressing [clr/tv]. What is the point of this? The remote controls the box wherever it is pointing. I even tried it from a different room and when it changed channels there I tried from outside the house but I could still change channels. In both cases the remote was pointing away from the TV.

If I don't press the two buttons exactly at the same time, I get chucked out of the help menu.

If the above step works, pressing "0999" will get me chucked out instead.

What gives?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 2 of 13 (286 Views)

Re: Programming TV remote does not work

Hi,

I found this tricky but got there in the  end.

Firstly, point the remote towards you - I pressed mine into my leg. Press and hold clear then press tv - I did not press simultaneously. the top of the remote should flash twice. then press 0 9 9 9 and the remote should flash again - it does not need to be still pointed to you at this point. Then SLOWLY press Channel up - I suggest waiting a good second between presses as it seems to be quite slow. Eventually it will turn your TV off. At this point, the instructions state to hold the power button to turn your TV back on but I found this not to work. I simply pressed ok on the v6 remote and turned my TV back on with my TV remote. Once it powered back up, check the volume can be controlled with the v6 remote - I think it took me 2 goes, but I was admittedly pressing channel up too quickly first time and think I went passed the correct configuration

Hope this helps !!!

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 3 of 13 (271 Views)

Still no go, I'm afraid.
In step 4, what does it mean when it says that one of the codes will turn off the screen? What codes? I see no codes. Am I supposed to?
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 13 (265 Views)

I tried this - everything works bar the volume.  Any idea as to how I get this working please?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13 (244 Views)

Hi Again,

Each time you press channel up, the remote sends a different code to the TV - there is nothing for you to do apart from pressing the channel up key slowly until the tv turns off. My TV is a fairly old (5 years) Panasonic plasma screen and it turned off on the 4th or 5th press of "channel up". I am sure when programming "other remotes" which required you to enter a 4 digit code, there were pages and pages of them, so it may require quite a few presses until it finds the correct code. Don't forget though - do not go racing through pressing the button really quickly - I did that the first time and went passed the code I needed. As soon as the TV turns off, just press OK - ignore the part about holding standby to power the tv back on - this did not work for me.

Patience - and keep trying :-)

Dialled in
Message 6 of 13 (238 Views)

Thanks for the attempts to help but this system is a right pain.

I tried well over fifty slow presses and got nowhere. I tried the alternate method and saw Panasonic has 28 codes. I tried [clr/tv] in that method and the screen leapt out of the menu back to TV. I suspect I'm going to have to take my remote with me when I go shopping later this morning, press [clr/tv] there - should be far enough away from the box not to affect it - and carry on with the rest of the nausea when I get back!
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13 (231 Views)

Might be easier just to use the TV's own remote for the volume :-)

(Agree it was a pain and should be easier)

Please post again if you manage to get it working

Joining in
Message 8 of 13 (215 Views)

Thank you!  It worked this time.  Really pleased!

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 9 of 13 (203 Views)

Still not working. Tried the 'quick' method, brought up the list of Panasonic codes, tried [clear/tv] umpteen times before managing to hit both buttons at the same time - hitting one or other first just activates 'clear' or 'tv' - and typed the first code. This behaved the same as typing '0999' in the first method, i.e. I got a green flash with each number but nothing thereafter. As no double green flash occurred and the sound buttons didn't work, I guessed the first code hadn't worked. I tried the second code but got a red flash with each button pressed. Needless to say, no subsequent green flashes. Tried all codes - none worked.

With my old V and V+ boxes, this method worked. However, this controller is totally different to the old ones. With the V and V+ controllers, they had to point towards the box in order for it to receive a signal; the V6 can be at the other end of the house or even outside it and the signal gets through. I'm assuming this uses a wireless connection and so the direction in which the controller is pointing is immaterial to its functionality. [The last controller I had which behaved a little like this was the NTL one which could control the STB whilst pointing away from it. I guess this may have used an audio connection whereas the others used IR?]

It appears that the current instructions for programming controllers cannot possibly apply to this V6 device due to its new design. VM should have realized that this new design also requires the method for programming it to be redesigned.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 10 of 13 (168 Views)

Another thought generated in a conversation via NNTP newsgroup:
If the TV only responds to IR controllers, how is the V6 wireless RF controller meant to communicate with it? It would seem it has to do it via the V6 box instead of directly with the TV. Or does it rely on magic?
0 Kudos