Menu
MilesP
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Poor Network signal on V6 Tivo

I have had Tivo V6 for a week or so and twice had to reboot both the V6 and the Superhub as the V6 hung with spinning dots. I looked in Network Status and saw that the signal strength (presumably to the Superhub) was Poor (25%) or Marginal (30%). The V6 is connected to Superhub by Wifi as it is upstairs directly connected to my computer (which does not have Wifi).

Is there some easy resolution to this problem - e.g. get Virgin to boost the Wifi signal or something, or maybe I need to get another Superhub next to the V6, connected by Ethernet cable. No doubt I would have to pay extra for that. The only other option would be to rewire the house to put Ethernet from downstairs to upstairs instead of the current Coax cable.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Poor Network signal on V6 Tivo

I would leave your installation as is and just use the powerline adaptors to provide a more reliable connection to your V6.

The powerline adaptors have to be paired with each other in order to communicate, which requires physical access to them both, usually within 60 secs or so.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Powerline Ethernet adaptors from Amazon.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
MilesP
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks PrinterElf I think that is the solution. What I am now thinking is I will move the Superhub downstairs next to the V6 and connect directly using Ethernet. Then use the Powerline Ethernet adaptors to send the broadband upstairs and connect the Computer to the adapter upstairs via Ethernet cable.

I have two supplementary questions in case anyone has experience of these things.

1. Reliability of these adaptors in case of mains power fluctuations. I can't afford to lose internet connection if I am in the middle of a Skype call on the computer. If this is the case, I would leave the Superhub upstairs next to the computer and connect the V6 via the Powerline Adapter. The V6 won't be bothered if the internet falls off for a moment.

2. How secure are they. It seems to me that anyone nearby who has a similar adaptor might be able to get access to my broadband. Perhaps there are already sniffer devices available to check for broadband signals on the mains supply.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would leave your installation as is and just use the powerline adaptors to provide a more reliable connection to your V6.

The powerline adaptors have to be paired with each other in order to communicate, which requires physical access to them both, usually within 60 secs or so.