Menu
Reply
  • 17
  • 0
  • 0
Lynch
Tuning in
386 Views
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Picture Quality not great

Hi,

I've been with Virgin just over a week now after a full year with Sky. I have the new V6 box and sadly I'm finding that the picture quality with Sky was much better, especially in HD.

I am using a top of the range Samsung 4K HDR TV. My current Video Output settings are as follows: 2160p pass-through, 1080p pass-through, 1080i.

Anyone have any tips on how to get a better picture? Or am I going to have to accept the decreased quality.

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 540
  • 45
  • 130
Corinneangela
Rising star
382 Views
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture Quality not great

Hmm I have the UE55KS9000TXXU - probably similar to your's it's the Samsung SUHD 4K and have the video output settings the same as your's and the picture quality is great.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 43
  • 1
  • 11
Ted2
Dialled in
379 Views
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture Quality not great


Lynch wrote:

Hi,

I've been with Virgin just over a week now after a full year with Sky. I have the new V6 box and sadly I'm finding that the picture quality with Sky was much better, especially in HD.

I am using a top of the range Samsung 4K HDR TV. My current Video Output settings are as follows: 2160p pass-through, 1080p pass-through, 1080i.

Anyone have any tips on how to get a better picture? Or am I going to have to accept the decreased quality.

 

When does the V7 come out? 😁😁

 


 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 17
  • 0
  • 0
Lynch
Tuning in
375 Views
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture Quality not great


Corinneangela wrote:

Hmm I have the UE55KS9000TXXU - probably similar to your's it's the Samsung SUHD 4K and have the video output settings the same as your's and the picture quality is great.


I have the UE55KS7000, sorry it is SUHD (forgot the S lol) so yeah quite similar. The TV has had rave reviews.

Have you tried Sky by any chance? I've just moved over from Sky after having them for a year and I noticed the difference right away. Definitely inferior! 

Just wondering if you've only had Virgin maybe you think its great because you've had nothing to compare it to?

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 540
  • 45
  • 130
Corinneangela
Rising star
372 Views
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture Quality not great

My daughter has Sky and her picture is not any better than mine in fact mine is better. What HDMI cable do you use?

 

I use these http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/products/2247/premium_grade_4k3d_high_speed_hdmi_cable/  do you have similar?

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 17
  • 0
  • 0
Lynch
Tuning in
343 Views
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture Quality not great

I'm using this cable at the moment. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002U38E9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used it for a few months with Sky and had no picture quality issues. Nice and sharp.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.67K
  • 25
  • 180
deans6571
Super solver
312 Views
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture Quality not great


Lynch wrote:

I'm using this cable at the moment. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002U38E9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used it for a few months with Sky and had no picture quality issues. Nice and sharp.


...ok, stupid question but, would these cables actually improve the picture on a standard Samsung HD TV, when compared to a bog standard HDMI cable that a VM engineer would leave during installation?

Smiley Embarassed

__________________________________________________________
Twitter : @deans6571 / Xbox Live : Deans F
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 97
  • 1
  • 13
BigAardvaark
Dialled in
303 Views
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture Quality not great


deans6571 wrote:

Lynch wrote:

I'm using this cable at the moment. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002U38E9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used it for a few months with Sky and had no picture quality issues. Nice and sharp.


...ok, stupid question but, would these cables actually improve the picture on a standard Samsung HD TV, when compared to a bog standard HDMI cable that a VM engineer would leave during installation?

Smiley Embarassed


No, a cable cannot change the digital content that the TV receives.  If it works, it works.  Think of HDMI cables as network cables.  You wouldn't expect an email to change its content by using a better network cable?  That's the analogy I tend to use....  "What Hifi" and salesmen selling over priced HDMI cables will try and tell you otherwise though!

I am in an over subscribed area - Fault ref F003066490
  • 540
  • 45
  • 130
Corinneangela
Rising star
290 Views
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture Quality not great

Actually there is a difference http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-2-0-explained/

 Specially as the new Samsungs have HDR

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.67K
  • 25
  • 180
deans6571
Super solver
280 Views
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture Quality not great


Corinneangela wrote:

Actually there is a difference http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-2-0-explained/

 Specially as the new Samsungs have HDR


...perhaps it does, but would it make a difference on my specific tv, which is this one:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/full-hd-h5000/UE40H5000AKXXU/

 

...perhaps a question for a SuperUser? 

__________________________________________________________
Twitter : @deans6571 / Xbox Live : Deans F
0 Kudos
Reply