Menu
bwlblue
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Pairing Up a Tivo 6 with a Tivo box

Hi,

We had the new Tivo 6 box installed today. Our Tivo box, which was in the front room with a lot of recordings on it, was moved upstairs to the bedroom

My router is not in the same room as the Tivo 6, and is connected via a powerline.  Everything seems to work and I can access TV Anywhere on my ipad.

Can I stream content from my Tivo (in the bedroom) to my new Tivo 6 box in the front room? If I can what is the best way to do it?

The Engineer did not leave me any Tivo 6 manual to read.

Hope someone can help.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Pairing Up a Tivo 6 with a Tivo box

Having removed the cable from the powerline to the V6, to service the TiVo, the V6 will have no network connection.

If you reset the V6, power off and on is the easiest way, you should get presented with the wifi connection dialogue and be able to choose a wifi SSID to connect to. You will, of course, need the passphrase for your SSID to hand as you will have to input it.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You should see your TiVo in My Shows on your V6, at the foot of the listing.

Choose your TiVo and you will then be able to see My Shows on your TiVo and choose recordings to watch.

0 Kudos
bwlblue
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply.

When I go to My Shows on my TIVO 6 box, there is no TiVO listing  at the foot of the page.

The TiVo box upstairs is not connected to a power line. The TIVO 6 is.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

For this to work, your TiVo has to be connected to your home network, either by direct Ethernet cable or via powerline adapters. You will need to make this connection if you wish to watch recordings from your TiVo on the TV connected to your V6.

0 Kudos
bwlblue
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ernie_C. for replying, it was very much appreciated. 

It seems I will have to connect both my TIVO 6 and my TIVO upstairs to separate power line adapters.

I thought my TIVO 6 was capable of connecting to my home network via wifi.

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The V6 may do.. tivo won't..

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

bwlblue wrote:

Thanks Ernie_C. for replying, it was very much appreciated. 

It seems I will have to connect both my TIVO 6 and my TIVO upstairs to separate power line adapters.

I thought my TIVO 6 was capable of connecting to my home network via wifi.

You may be able to use wifi for your V6, assuming a strong wifi signal at the location of your V6. You could then use the powerline adapter to connect the TiVo. Worth a try.

0 Kudos
bwlblue
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I tried connecting the TiVo in the bedroom to the power line adapter, but I get error messages when trying to use the help on the TIVO 6 and when going to Network settings on the TIVO 6 box.

We were so looking forward to streaming our shows from the TIVO box in the bedroom to the new TIVO 6 box, while we set up new recordings on the TIVO 6 box.

I am on the top package with VM, and get 100-170 Mbps on my IPAD mini 4 in the room where my TIVO 6 box is located. I was hoping the TIVO 6 would cope. The engineer who set up my box used the power line connection to set up my TIVO 6. Should have realised then that the TIVO 6, was not up to it.

Thanks once again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Having removed the cable from the powerline to the V6, to service the TiVo, the V6 will have no network connection.

If you reset the V6, power off and on is the easiest way, you should get presented with the wifi connection dialogue and be able to choose a wifi SSID to connect to. You will, of course, need the passphrase for your SSID to hand as you will have to input it.

0 Kudos
bwlblue
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I will try that, but think the engineer tried to install my TIVO 6 using that method, without much success. I will try it,Wife permitting. Maybe tomorrow when she is not around.

I have looked on line but can't find a Powerline adapter with 3 adapters which it seems is what I am going to need.

Thank you once again, your help is very much appreciated.

0 Kudos