Menu
Earlydays
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Onkyo tx Nr555 and V6 incompatibility problem.

Just tried to connect up my new V6 box, replacing a TiVo. it's connected through an Onkyo Tx nr 555, , second hdmi port. TiVo works fine connected in the same way. The V6 displays the Welcome screen, and briefly the "starting up" message then  goes to a blue screen, saying content cannot be displayed check your HDCP 2.2 TV. I am using the HDMI cable provided with the V6.  If I connect the V6 directly to the TV It works fine. So has anyone experienced a similar incompatibility, if that's what it is

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Onkyo tx Nr555 and V6 incompatibility problem.

The problem is that your amp is telling the v6 to use hdcp2.2 but your tv cant do hdcp2.2 because its not 4k.  If you keep it in the 6th port and go into the v6 audio settings, does changing dolby digital to pcm make any difference?

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is your tv 4k?  I.e hdcp 2.2 compatible?  If not try the 6th port

0 Kudos
Earlydays
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It isn't a 4 K Tv , in the Aux port, 6th, I get video but no sound. That's progress but something still not right clearly. Thanks for the input , any other ideas gratefully received.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The problem is that your amp is telling the v6 to use hdcp2.2 but your tv cant do hdcp2.2 because its not 4k.  If you keep it in the 6th port and go into the v6 audio settings, does changing dolby digital to pcm make any difference?

Earlydays
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That doesn't make a difference unfortunately, can't say any of this was in the Virgin bumpf.
You've already been much more helpful than their tech dept, who once it worked direct to TV said "see you later"
Thanks for your input
0 Kudos
Earlydays
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

On the basis of my last comment, I planned to buy a 4K tv.  Thought I'd have one last go trying to sort it out, as I was procrastinating about which TV to get, and plugged the V6 into the 5th HDMI slot ( not HDCP 2.2) marked PC. And it worked, sound and picture, might be that I rebooted the V6 box, which I hadn't done when I tried the 6th port last time. So big thanks to Legend, his diagnosis, and suggested solution were spot on. And the even better news is my beautiful 9 year old Pioneer Kuro plasma lives on. Thanks again for you advice, priceless .

0 Kudos
Earlydays
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not sure where I'll got legend from, I obviously meant Jb66, Alessandro. Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to give you a related but off topic heads up...

An elderly plasma has on average 10 TIMES the power consumption of an average LED panel.

On an average UK tariff, allowing 5 hours a day use, 2.3p for a 30W LED vs 23p for a 300W plasma

Might be time to upgrade after all. I mention it because I received the same advice on here and have really noticed the difference in my leccy bill.

0 Kudos
Earlydays
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the tip, hopefully the OLED's are equally efficient, as that's where I'm leaning. At least I can take my time choosing as I've got the current setup working 😀

0 Kudos