Menu
adeluio
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

On demmand kept stopping, and usability questions

Just got 2 v6 boxes installed on wednesday. just tried to whatch spectre. 3 or 4 times it stopped saying it s lost the connection.

After having sky for 15 years this is NOT a good start.

and on another matter. How do you skip through something recorded. (not just 30 seconds)

And this happens a lot in our house.

We record football focus abnd other programs. What we always did with sky is skip the first 10 to 20 minutes because we knew our team comes later on. V east to do with sky.

Is there any way of starting a pre-records program and saying, start 20 minutes into the program?

Also. with Sky (movies) when you change to a movie channel and it is mid way it asks you if you want to watch the movie from the beginning. Does Virgin have this ability, and if not then why not? Trying to do something similar tonight was a right faf.

0 Kudos
adeluio
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: On demmand kept stopping, and usability questions

I hate to say this. And i know i am still learinng to use the Virgin Boxes, but you really should have a look at the sky user interface. It is not too bad at all. Not perfect by any means, but not bad. Some of the things that are really easy with sky are a pain (as far as i can tell) on the V6 box. It does feel a little clucky on the Virgin, and the remote control does seem just a little small (in my hands)
0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I actually hate the Sky interface (my daughter has it). I don't find it intuitive at all.

Re the remote, the older one for the Tivo was practically the same but a bit larger. Many complained the remote was too big.

I Just tried but cannot find a way to do the things you want, as you say the skip forward is only 30 seconds. Some channels you can rewind to the beginning of a program that you start watching part way through (eg BBC 1) but I assume that the broadcaster has to make that option available and on the one movie channel I just tried it wasn't possible.

Someone else may post if they know ways of doing what you want to do.

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've just found how to skip forward in larger amounts... hit the fast forward button then the skip forward button under the FF key. It skips to next check point.

https://assets.virginmedia.com/help/assets/documents/Virgin_TV_V6_user_guide.pdf  - founf that under 'cheeky shortcuts'

Re you issue with the movie keep stopping.. how is your V6 connected to your hub? Best way is ethernet, if you use wifi it is possible to lose connection. Second best option would be a powerline adapter.

0 Kudos
adeluio
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ethernet (via a 100mb homeplug link)

Sky WAS using wifi as the last software update broke wired internet (and that worked fine). no idea how virgin works it but for sky it downloads it to the box. After abot a minute of D/L you can normally start watching stuff.

0 Kudos
adeluio
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yep, I know, and I am comming from 15 years of sky (used to use virgin when it first came out) so i know I have a steep learning curve.

Corinneangela wrote:

I actually hate the Sky interface (my daughter has it). I don't find it intuitive at all.

Re the remote, the older one for the Tivo was practically the same but a bit larger. Many complained the remote was too big.

I Just tried but cannot find a way to do the things you want, as you say the skip forward is only 30 seconds. Some channels you can rewind to the beginning of a program that you start watching part way through (eg BBC 1) but I assume that the broadcaster has to make that option available and on the one movie channel I just tried it wasn't possible.

Someone else may post if they know ways of doing what you want to do.

ave a learning curve.

0 Kudos
adeluio
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

With sky you can specify the number of minutes you want to skip. (what is a checkpoint and how long is it?)

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I imagine it's a predefined mark at a set regularity.. I think it took me about 15 mins onward. You can also use the skip button multiple times.. each skip on it's own is 30 secs so hit it 4 times to go forward 2 mins etc.

Just checked.. each checkmark is 15 mins apart throughout the program so if you are partway through 2 checkmarks it takes you to 15 mins into the show.. if you then do the same again, it would be 30 mins into the show

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I think you would be better to stop comparing Sky and just think that Virgin is different and does it 'Virgin's way' and play around and investigate the V6 (I always do that with new technology and updated OSs etc for computers). The link I gave you to the online manual should help - and us on here if you get stuck. There are some extremely knowledgeable users in here always ready to give a helping hand.

0 Kudos
adeluio
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am trying to take it all with a pinch of Salt. I know it is going to take some time to get use to. (thanks for the tip about large FFWD)

But my main complaint. Watching (Movies) on demand.

I watch a films a couple of days ago and OK. Watched inglorious Basterds tonight and at least 3 times it stopped (On demand has stopped/failed/etc) Had to wait for the OK button. press it then go to resume watching... (Clunky), and the last time it skipped back 45 minutes at least when i resumed (It did that at least once for the first film i watched).

I can put up with a lot but "on demand" being flaky!, With 200mb Broadband (down a 100mb Homeplug line) Come on now. 

I hope there is a software update to sort this out.

0 Kudos