Menu
DrSmug
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Old(er) TV warning! V6 Box won't work with many HD TV's due to HDCP 2.2

Just wasted half a day trying a self-install on a new V6 box. I was upgrading from an older TIVO that works perfectly via HDMI on my Panasonic Plasma & gives a fantastic picture on HD.

Plugged in new V6 box....... nothing! ..... a completely black screen. Connected V6 to PC monitor works perfectly.

Hmmm, tried manually setting the video output settings on the V6 to the same ones that work on the old TIVO..... nothing.

Spent fruitless 45mins on phone with Virgin Tech support who didn't seem to have any clue.

As ever Google provides the answer. Read this http://www.techradar.com/news/television/why-hdcp-2-2-will-be-bad-news-for-4k-1287966.

In summary, if you're considering a Virgin V6 box & don't have an HD / 4K TV made in the last 2 years with HDMI compliant with HDCP 2.2 it PROBABLY WON'T WORK!

***** VIRGIN SALES TEAM PLEASE NOTE! *****

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old(er) TV warning! V6 Box won't work with many HD TV's due to HDCP 2.2

DrSmug wrote:

Just wasted half a day trying a self-install on a new V6 box. I was upgrading from an older TIVO that works perfectly via HDMI on my Panasonic Plasma & gives a fantastic picture on HD.

Plugged in new V6 box....... nothing! ..... a completely black screen. Connected V6 to PC monitor works perfectly.

Hmmm, tried manually setting the video output settings on the V6 to the same ones that work on the old TIVO..... nothing.

Spent fruitless 45mins on phone with Virgin Tech support who didn't seem to have any clue.

As ever Google provides the answer. Read this http://www.techradar.com/news/television/why-hdcp-2-2-will-be-bad-news-for-4k-1287966.

In summary, if you're considering a Virgin V6 box & don't have an HD / 4K TV made in the last 2 years with HDMI compliant with HDCP 2.2 it PROBABLY WON'T WORK!

***** VIRGIN SALES TEAM PLEASE NOTE! *****

Funnily enough my V6 works fine with my Panasonic Plasma. It even provides a better quality picture than the Tivo it replaced.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

working fine here an a 6 year old samsung LED tv

Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

working fine here but mine is compliant with HDCP 2.2

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK the only devices that would be affected are early 4K Displays. And its really up to you to check if your TV is HDCP 2.2 compatible as there's no exhaustive list sales could refer to.

1080P sets wont have an issue.

0 Kudos
whiterdesign
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If i go into system info on my V6 box HDMI status  says HDCP 1.x enabled so where does HDCP 2.2 come from

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

HDCP 2.2 is only for 4K displays.

The problems arise if you try to connect it to a 4K display that only does HDCP 2.0. Which is why myself and others have been preaching for ages to wait until standards are agreed before you buy a 4K display. Now HDCP is decided but HDR is still not a proper "standard" as yet. For the record the TiVo V6 does HDR as properly as is possible ATM.

DrSmug
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for your feedback, you're obviously luckier than me!

Still doesn't explain why my existing TIVO works happily on my old plasma via HDMI where the V6 will not, using all the same video output settings. If it's true that the V6 is outputting 1080p with version 1.* HDCP it should work with my existing setup, but it doesn't. (I also tried 720P & that didn't work either)

Are you suggesting that the V6 box only uses HDCP 2.2 when outputting 4K? That doesn't seem very likely as I thought that HDCP was "hard wired" into HDMI hardware....... maybe somebody with good tech know-how could verify this?

0 Kudos
DrSmug
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I agree, If I wanted to choose an upgrade to a V6 I would certainly have done the research.

But the issue I was trying to highlight here is that when some nice lady from Virgin sales team cold calls you and offers an amazing "upgrade" bundle deal to an existing customer they should really ask "how old is your TV" & maybe even "does it have an HDMI socket" ??? Instead she only highlighted the "extra channels" "record 6 different programs" etc etc

There are an awful lot of people out there like me that don't have the latest HD panels & frankly aren't going to upgrade any time soon......

0 Kudos
Stratman1971
Up to speed
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have a Panasonic G10 (7 years oldish) and it works fine.

What is yours?