Menu
sueysue
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not allowed a V6 unless I move my SH :(

I have spent some time reading the forums and researching the V6 and finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade one of my very slow Tivo's. I am currently on full house with vivid 200 broadband and I get very good wi fi around the house. I wanted to have the V6 one room away from the SH, for various reasons I don't want to relocate the SH and I had assumed I could run the V6 on wi fi.

I made the call and after a brief conversation about my current set up I was told it's not currently possible for me to have a V6 unless I move my SH next to it. I asked about powerlines as I have seen those mentioned and was told they just boost your wi fi and are not appropriate for the V6.

I said ' I can't have one then?' and she said 'no, sorry, thank you for your call'

I am so very disappointed Smiley Sad

Has anyone successfully connected a V6 via wi fi ?

Can it really be true that I can't have one without relocating my SH?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Not allowed a V6 unless I move my SH :(

Personally I would use a powerline adapter and just not tell them. They told me I would need my hub moved (TV one end of the room, hub the other). It wasn't moved I just used a longer ethernet although the engineer told me I didn't need that as the other V6 was to be connected via ethernet to a wifi extender.

So I would either just not tell the CS you will be using a powerline exterder, or choose the 'thinking of leaving' option when you call them and speak to Retentions. They are much more savvy and would understand what you want to do.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The V6 can run fine on WiFi (or indeed Powerlines).

I ran mine off WiFi for a couple of days just to "prove" to myself that I could if I needed to - although I do have a network cable from my SH (in one room) to the V6 (in another) so it is normally wired.

This is an extract from the install guide (found here):

tvinst.PNG

As you can see, it says ethernet cable is preferred, but you can use WiFi.

Keith

Superuser1718.png

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes.. I think the CS are just ill-informed.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is pot luck who you speak to when you call in - I would just call again.

Some have no idea but want to sound informed - others are prepared to wander off the script and check.

WiFi is likely to work and you have other options if not - you do NOT need to have the SH next to the TiVo.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Marni1971
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What a load of tosh.

I've lurked for a while but just signed up since I was in exactly the same boat as you. Superhub upstairs, TiVo downstairs. TiVo was connected via power line for ages.

When I rang to go for the V6 I was asked is the hub near? I said no. Would I be willing to have it moved? I said no. I then said the existing TiVo is connected to a power line. And my order went through.

Sure enough the V6 was plugged into the existing Ethernet cable and power line in the lounge by the installer and everything works fine. Wonderful box. If a little ugly.

The person you spoke to I'm afraid has no clue what they're talking about.

Just remember the power lines are not guaranteed to work if plugged into an extension cable. For best results they want to be plugged directly into the wall socket. Due to this maybe make sure you get plugs that have a pass through power socket too.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Personally I would use a powerline adapter and just not tell them. They told me I would need my hub moved (TV one end of the room, hub the other). It wasn't moved I just used a longer ethernet although the engineer told me I didn't need that as the other V6 was to be connected via ethernet to a wifi extender.

So I would either just not tell the CS you will be using a powerline exterder, or choose the 'thinking of leaving' option when you call them and speak to Retentions. They are much more savvy and would understand what you want to do.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The V6 can run fine on WiFi (or indeed Powerlines).

I ran mine off WiFi for a couple of days just to "prove" to myself that I could if I needed to - although I do have a network cable from my SH (in one room) to the V6 (in another) so it is normally wired.

This is an extract from the install guide (found here):

tvinst.PNG

As you can see, it says ethernet cable is preferred, but you can use WiFi.

Keith

Superuser1718.png

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes.. I think the CS are just ill-informed.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is pot luck who you speak to when you call in - I would just call again.

Some have no idea but want to sound informed - others are prepared to wander off the script and check.

WiFi is likely to work and you have other options if not - you do NOT need to have the SH next to the TiVo.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Marni1971
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What a load of tosh.

I've lurked for a while but just signed up since I was in exactly the same boat as you. Superhub upstairs, TiVo downstairs. TiVo was connected via power line for ages.

When I rang to go for the V6 I was asked is the hub near? I said no. Would I be willing to have it moved? I said no. I then said the existing TiVo is connected to a power line. And my order went through.

Sure enough the V6 was plugged into the existing Ethernet cable and power line in the lounge by the installer and everything works fine. Wonderful box. If a little ugly.

The person you spoke to I'm afraid has no clue what they're talking about.

Just remember the power lines are not guaranteed to work if plugged into an extension cable. For best results they want to be plugged directly into the wall socket. Due to this maybe make sure you get plugs that have a pass through power socket too.
0 Kudos
adeluio
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have just had 2 v6 boxes installed , last wednesday via an engineer (I have had virgin broadband since they first laid the cables MANY years ago, probably 15-20 years)

My setup.

The cable modem is upstairs in my bedroom. I have a wired connection through the loft to another room for one V6 box.

I then have a 100mb homeplug (ethernet over Mains wire) from the bedroom to the living room downstairs and into a 4 port GB switch. From that I have it plugged into the virgin box, tv, blue-ray player and my own wi-fi router (I have the Virgin Wifi turned off as I do not trust it).

0 Kudos
adeluio
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So what do you do if you have more than one V6 box in the house. I downstairs and i upstairs. Unless you run run a VERY long cable from the SH to the other room (which nobody is likely to do you will either have to use homeplug or wi-fi!

MY SH is upstairs in one bedroom, a v6 in another bedroom and one downstairs in the living room!

0 Kudos
richc2005
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Definitely call again. I have 2 V6 boxes and both are connected via WiFi. Neither the person who took my order or the installer had an issue with the SH being in a separate room.
0 Kudos
sueysue
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Encouraged by the replies on here I have phoned again and what a difference a call makes!

This time I was not even asked about my current set up I just had the advantages of the V6 explained me and how much it would cost. He said it would be sent via courier and he would upgrade me to a SH3 to be delivered at the same time.

So looks like I am going to be busy next Saturday, I had not realised the V6 was now a self install job!

I am thinking get the SH3 installed and activated then move onto the V6?