Menu
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not Interested

Is anybody else not bothered with the new V6?

• I don't see any point in paying for the additional tuners when I already have 6 across my 2 receivers.
  • UHD is really only brilliant if you are within 8' of the tv.
  • Apparently it doesn't have a modem so uses some of your bandwidth - how much if all 6 tuners are in use?

0 Kudos
jonandmarkuk
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not Interested

It only uses the broadband for online services, such as Netflix and iPlayer.
The current Tivo box only supports 10mb internet which is way below the recommendation for Netflix in UHD.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I would expect on this particular board most people are interested Smiley Wink

/me sticks engineering hat on
Assuming you mean 8 inches, rather than 8ft (for which you'd need a 123 inch TV to resolve all the pixels), then a 10 inch 4K TV would be enough ;-)

If all your tuners are in use, none.
If you're watching app-based On Demand then it will vary. Sustained bandwidth requirements for Netflix are below:

Mbps
SD3
HD5
FHD8
4K25

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I realise that this board will be mostly people in favour, I always think it's useful to have discussions Smiley Happy

From http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-resolution/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs-and-upscaling-com...

resolution-4k-ultra-hd-chart.jpg

Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have a 4K UHD TV (Samsung dot matrix thing) and I can assure you that when watching 4K dvds the difference is amazing so I can't wait for more 4K stuff to arrive. Also waiting for the update coming next year for HDR  as the Samsung has that too.

It's not just the 4K stuff though, the new box is meant to be a lot faster and can record 6 channels at once. Will I need 6? Maybe not, but often 3 is not enough and finding that it has to shorten programs (either at start or end of the program) is a pain in the butt. I am assuming that 6 will mean this will rarely, if ever happen now.

So yes.. I am most certainly 'for' the new V6.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can see what they've done with that graph and I suppose it's sort of right, kinda, ish - the line represents the ideal viewing distance for 1080p content on at least a 1080p display, assuming you have 20/20 vision.

Sit any closer than that and you'll be able to discern the individual pixels, so you'd need higher resolution content than 1080p (and by extension the display resolution to support it).

"Worth it" is perhaps a bit of a stretch until you get fairly close to the red line (the ideal viewing distance for 4K content), but you will at least notice the difference between 1080p & 4K once you get say a third of the way between blue & red lines.

Display Viewing Distance.png

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos