Menu
Highlighted
Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Noisy V6 in the bedroom - fix

I subscribed to the VIP package with a V6 box in the lounge and bedroom. It's a great little box except for two things:

1) It has problems detecting when to display a picture. I had to buy an adapter for my amplifier for it to work in the lounge and in the bedroom the picture doesn't always appear unless the TV and V6 box are turned on in the right order. I'm hoping they eventually fix this!

2) In the bedroom, the hard drive whirrs away despite being in standby mode and sometimes wakes up for no reason. I have no suggestions being recorded so I couldn't see why it was doing this.

I recently found an option that fixes the issue for me and I thought I'd share it.

You simply go to Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Device Settings > Power Saving Settings > Eco Low Power.

This assumes that you don't intent to watch shows from your bedroom box in another room. I leave my Lounge box on Connected Low Power, which allows me to put it into standby and stream shows from it.

The Eco Low Power mode just simply turns the box off. No more noise at night!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noisy V6 in the bedroom - fix

Hi Mcgaz

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how your V6 box is doing, I'm glad to hear you've found a workaround for the hard drive noise so thanks for letting us know what you did too.

We'll be here should you need any assistance moving forward.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Ronsteruk
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noisy V6 in the bedroom - fix

Hello Craig, I also have a V6 box in the bedroom, but unfortunately the fix described above is not a complete fix.

The eco low power mode will indeed prevent the box from recording ‘suggested’ programs during the night, but it won’t prevent it from doing or searching for an update, so although the hard drive activity is reduced, mine still spins up and wakes me up during the night. 

I have spoken to tech support and they say there is no way around this other than to unplug the power to the box and then plug in again when I want to watch TV. A simple solution but not ideal in that after the box is down powered it takes an age to start up again. 

I understand the need for updates and also the logic of performing them overnight so that a customers tv service is not interrupted during the daytime when they are most likely to be watching tv. However, most other platforms allow the user to designate a suitable time range when updates should take place, for example a user can schedule a Windows pc to check for updates at a convenient time for them. So why not have this functionality on the V6 box? A bedroom located box could then be scheduled to update during the day when the user isn’t in the bedroom and a lounge based box overnight when the user is in bed. 

The V6 box is great but this for me is a real flaw, to the point where I’d prefer an older type box that has noe hard drive in the bedroom. Unfortunately those older boxes are no longer available, so something needs to be done to make the V6 bedroom friendly. 

0 Kudos