Menu
BB22
Joining in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

New install V6 question

Hi,

Just moved over from Sky and getting an install this week.

Getting 3 V6 boxes installed. Does each box have to be connected via a cable for the TV services to work? Had a search and saw conflicting replies about whether or not this was the case.

Can the box work stand alone, with just a wifi connection (or Ethernet)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: New install V6 question

They all need to be connected by coax cable and to your home network. 

0 Kudos
spuddy2
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

They do have to be connected by cable. Had 2 v6 boxes installed yesterday.
0 Kudos
BB22
Joining in
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

Can they use exsisring co ax cable i.e. Take one of the two that is used by the sky dish and make a join on it
0 Kudos
BB22
Joining in
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for the replies but just want to see if someone know the answer to this question.

I have co ax cable running under floorboards to back room which carries the sky signal from dish at the moment. Would I be able to use this co ax cable for the V6 box. I would need to put a join in it of course, but otherwise I would need to start drilling holes through walls to get the cable to the back room.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I do not believe that Virgin can use Sky cabling..

0 Kudos
Quam256
Joining in
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

The coax cable used on a install is of a certain standard and anything else may affect the quality of the services .

This might cause you to have it replaced at a later date anyway.

The cable from what you are suggesting is siamese cable and that is much thinner than the cable used.

0 Kudos
sosolidconvict
Tuning in
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

For whoever is interested.......I can confirm that the V6 box contains a 2.5" laptop hard drive........I have just ordered a 3TB unit from Amazon.......I can't see any reason why this cannot be just dropped straight in without any formatting issues as was possible with the previous generation TiVo box........I will update as soon as I know more

shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

sosolidconvict wrote:

For whoever is interested.......I can confirm that the V6 box contains a 2.5" laptop hard drive........I have just ordered a 3TB unit from Amazon.......I can't see any reason why this cannot be just dropped straight in without any formatting issues as was possible with the previous generation TiVo box........I will update as soon as I know more

You do know you don't own the equipment that VM supply so it's against their T&Cs for you to do that, not only that put your posting that you're going to do it on an official VM forum where VM staff post. 

Regardless of the above and I could be wrong on this point as the V6 could have memory else were that stores the software but if it doesn't, how are you going to get the VM TiVo software on the new HDD? 

0 Kudos
sosolidconvict
Tuning in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

i have received confirmation that the VM firmware is held elsewhere, possibly on a ram chip of some sort. and thankyou for your concern, but i am not performing this experiment myself.

I just think that 1TB is a very poor offering......especially in a box that will eventually offer 4K!!!.......recording time in 4K can be expected to be half that is available normal HD!!

0 Kudos