Menu
davestones
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New customer V6 questions

Hi

New customer looking forward to Virgin being installed mid-April, however I have a few questions before that happens, hopefully they can be answered!

Currently we have Sky set up so that there is coax going into two other rooms that replicate the main Sky output using the Sky box's RF-out. I know that I won't be able to do this using the V6 box however would something similar be able to be achieved by using an HDMI splitter and running HDMI (orHDMI over Cat6) to the other rooms or would the box's HDCP settings prevent this?

Does the remote use bluetooth like the new SkyQ remotes or does it still use IR? If it's bluetooth what is the range? (i.e. would I be able to use the remote upstairs while the box was downstairs or would I have to lay cable for an IR extender also?).

Can you buy extra remotes? I know that I can use the app however I have a 2 and a 1 year old who enjoy playing "hide the remote" and having more than 1 is handy (we currently have 4 sky ones...)

Thanks Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Marni1971
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New customer V6 questions

The V6 remote is both Infra red and RF apparently (not Bluetooth as I first believed)

0 Kudos

All Replies
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Both V6's need their own Virgin coax.

The remote uses IR but the range of them is large (someone tested and he could do from upstairs).

There is a 'find my remote' function where you hold a button on the V6 for 10 secs and the remote beeps so you can l;ocate it.

0 Kudos
Marni1971
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The V6 remote is both Infra red and RF apparently (not Bluetooth as I first believed)

0 Kudos
davestones
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Now that I've read the specs it looks like the remote uses ZigBee RF4CE protocol to transmit as well as IR. In theory this should have a range of 100 feet so in theory I should be able to use the remote upstairs (or in the kitchen etc) to change the TV channel downstairs assuming there isn't too much interference.

Don't suppose anyone would be willing to test this (change channel in a different room to where the V6 box is located)? The alternative is to use an IR injector which would just add extra unnecessary cables and connectors..

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can confirm that the V6 remote in paired mode can operate the V6 from every room in my house.

0 Kudos
davestones
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well all services were installed this morning, everything went nice and smoothly - broadband ticking along at a stable 206mbps down and 13mbps up, phone line working and V6 box working as expected.

Signal is also being piped into two other rooms using an HDMI extender and some very long cables so I am happy. Just need to sort out what to do with extra remotes for the other rooms now and sort out the wife's series links so she is happy...

0 Kudos