Menu
Kayakingchris
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New TiVo box poor, iPad app now worse

Am I the only one dissaponted in the new TiVo box.? 

1. Often disconnects from the internet.
  2. iplayer keeps buffering , I have yet to watch a program without it buffering and creating an "exit moment"
  3. the iPad app WILL NOT CONNECT, at least it worked with the previous TiVo box.
  4. anyone know how to cancel a contract

Now I'm sorry that I stayed with virgin, trouble is, I like the broadband, but for the months of Jan and Feb it has been poor, often down or @30Mbps instead of 100 that I am paying for.

Dissapointing! 

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New TiVo box poor, iPad app now worse

Wait. You e had ALL these issues but haven't bothered to phone in for help?! You have something dodgy going on. Maybe a faulty box for instance- easily sorted. Phone 150 from a virgin phone or 03454541111

they can't fix it for you if they don't know about it!

0 Kudos
Kayakingchris
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not so, I have had several visits, a new modem, cables removed, system resets etc, and am fed up phoning to complain.

true, I have not phoned re iPad app, just wondered if anyone else has the same issue before I phone AGAIN!

Update, rebooted the box, and checked its network connection, but the app still does not connect. 

BTW do you work for VM? 

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1st question, how is your V6 connected to your hub ?

and by on demand do you mean general on demand or iPlayer ?

and regarding the app, are both the iPad and V6 on the same subnet ?

0 Kudos
Kayakingchris
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Stevedh2 for your interest! 

1. Connected with 1GHz network, off a GHz switch. Apple TV on the same switch NEVER buffers. 
  2. accessing the iplayer is much quicker, but when you start watching it always buffers at some point.
  3. Ive only got one  'flat' network. I can ping the TiVo box from the iPad. 

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, what type of hub did they give you and do your run it in modem mode.. I only ask as I had a V6 iPlayer issue which I thought was buffering, but on investigation turned out to be router settings, but unless you're using it in modem mode, wont effect you, unless your're loosing packets as the V6 iPlayer as a bit more fussy about that.

What does the speed test on the V6 say .. I found it in the help menues but couldn't find it anywhere else.. also do you have a wired computer you can run a speed test from?

also probably worth posting your hub stats here as well as doing some ping tests to see if your're loosing packets etc.

I assume you've tried rebooting the V6 and superhubs.

0 Kudos
Kayakingchris
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi
hub is 3.0 super hub. Speed as per speed.net on wired w10 6 core Gb network is 66.5 down 5.94 up, in an "up to 100Mbps" network which is 66% of what I should be getting.
Pinging www.bbc.co.uk /t (212.58.244.69)time averages 28ms , no packet loss.

I have tried rebooting both hub and V+ box several times, No difference .
BTW iplayer is fine on iPad, laptop, MacBook and wired PC.

What hub stats?
0 Kudos
Kayakingchris
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New TiVo box poor, iPad app now worse (NOW FIXED- Faulty Netgear switch)

Mea Culpa. or rather the fault is due to a dodgy Netgear (GS608 v2)  plastic case switch.

Using the PING app on the iPad I found that there was a 12% packet loss. The Apple TV on the same switch had none.(?)  Swapping cables and sockets made no difference, Bypassing the switch solved the problem. Now there was no packet loss and no buffering.  

I am now using a different Netgear (GS308) metal box 1GB  switch and now all is well. Both my wife's and my iPad now can see the TiVo box and control it. 

Thank for all your interest, now watching Peter Kay's carshare and NO buffering.

0 Kudos