Menu
PeteMainey
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Networking new V6 box

I'm having a new installation in my new home next week. I'm keeping my TiVo box from my other house. Having the new house wired up with Cat6 cabling currently. I've ordered an V6 box and upgrading to Vivid 200. I'll have network points in my lounge and bedroom connecting to my new super hub in the study. Presumably to get box boxes to connect to each other, having them both on the same network hardwired to the super hub is fine, and eliminates the need for power line adapters. It's not the case that both boxes need to be directly wired to each other by a single Ethernet cable? Many thanks for any replies.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Networking new V6 box

The Ethernet wiring should be fine. However, both boxes will also need to be connected to the VM cable signal via a VM coax feed. The installation engineer should sort this part for you.
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just to make it clear for people, you cannot connect a V6 to a TiVo by just using a CAT5E cable between them. You must use a router or network switch (that is connected to a router) because the V6 must have WAN (Internet) access.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Actually, @Tudor you raise an interesting experimental question - Can the V6 be connected via wifi to the network and to another TiVo via Ethernet?

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I see no reason that this setup should not work, as long as they are on the same network segment. Mine are both connected by Ethernet. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tudor wrote:

I see no reason that this setup should not work, as long as they are on the same network segment. Mine are both connected by Ethernet. 

The E'net cable will disable(take priority) over the WiFi. ! Smiley Sad Addendum: Whilst I have used both (not concurrently) Wired & Wifi from a V6 then subsequently swapping either configuration between Hubs (e.g. SH3 and SH2AC) has proved rather interesting (more in a separate post).
Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
AndrewRowland
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is a set-up with one TV6 wired to a Coax split and to the Ethernet Hub and one older TIVO connected just wired via Ethernet to the hub valid? i.e. TWO boxes on the local network with ONE wired to Coax, or do all Tivos need to be on Coax splits?

0 Kudos