Menu
TonyL69
Tuning in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Netflix V6 what the?

Please somebody put an end to my problem if you have had the same issue as me with your new virgin V6 box, basically I can't play anything on Netflix using the app or the 204 channel. 

I have called and spoken to virgin second line team and they have run test signals down the line and after 30 minutes conversation with them carrying out various tests and reboots of the box they still can't get Netflix to work. I can sign in and browse the menu page but as soon as I start to play any film or boxset I get a message telling me "we're having trouble playing this title at the moment. Please try again later or select a different title."

If I knew the V6 box had this issue with Netflix then I wouldn't have upgraded to the V6 and would of kept the old Tivo box as I had no problems with Netflix on the old one. I have read other virgin customers problems and some seem to of had their problem dealt with after speaking with a virgin team member, why is mine such a problem. Maybe they just need to replace the V6 box for another. £65 I paid for an upgrade for installation  ( which I could of done myself ) and haven't got my money's worth. 

Please virgin help me out. 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 19 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Netflix V6 what the?

Yes, that is what I needed. You need to connect the V6 box to the HDMI port marked with MHL as described in the manual for your TV model:

HDCP 2.2 can only use the HDMI(MHL) port. HDCP is short for 'High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection' and is for video copyright protection.

I believe on your TV that's HDMI 3.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superuser
Superuser
Message 21 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Glad it's all sorted Smiley Happy

Anything else is now down to you. As it's a different HDMI input any changes you've made for picture settings on your TV will have to be re-done e.g. brightness, contrast etc.

Only thing I would recommend for your TV is to ensure that you set the 'Picture Size' to 'Screen Fit.' This ensures that you're seeing all of the available output from the V6 box, and in the correct ratio as set by the box.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 23 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just one additional comment from me on your settings, although this is more of a personal choice.

I'd recommend setting the Aspect Correction Ratio of the V6 to 'Panel'. This then ensures that where you're watching an old programme in 4:3 i.e non-widescreen on SD channels, then it's shown as it should be with black bars down the left and right to. 'Full Screen' stretches the picture to fill the widescreen frame, so makes old 4:3 shows look very odd.

HD channels showing 4:3 programmes do this as part of the broadcast so if you only watch HD you don't have to worry so much Smiley Happy

All Replies
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

How is the V6 connected to your Superhub? Wi-Fi? Wondering if maybe the wi-fi signal isn't good enough to stream properly, might be worth trying to connect the V6 and Superhub with an Ethernet cable to see if that helps. Obviously, if it already is connected with an Ethernet cable then that's not the issue!

0 Kudos
TonyL69
Tuning in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi. The V6 is connected to my SH3 via an Ethernet cable and I have the vivid 200 mbs. Apart from the Netflix issue everything works well, my family and I use Netflix a lot as our mine tv viewing so you can see why I'm desperate to get this problem sorted out fast.

I had the old TiVo box installed upstairs in my daughters room and the Netflix works fine on that box and on all apps that we have on our iPads etc but just won't work on the V6 box.

Thanks for your reply.
0 Kudos
deans6571
Super solver
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

...I have to echo what Tavis75 said above - perhaps the method in which you have your V6 connected to your Hub, is not stable enough to stream Netflix?

As an example, my V6 wouldn't successfully stream anything unless I connected to my 2.4ghz wifi band from my Hub 3. Strangely, using my 5ghz wifi band, and then trying a powerline connection, just resulted in buffering all the time from Netflix and iPlayer, however, the 2.4ghz wifi, had been rock solid......

TonyL69
Tuning in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply deans6571. I'm wired up via Ethernet cable so thought this would be better than actual wifi signal? the online virgin team tested the signal strength their end and said everything was as it should be with the signals etc. I have to wait now for someone to get back to me from virgin with another solution, if they can't sort it then I'll ask for a refund and have another old style TiVo box installed in place of the V6.
0 Kudos
deans6571
Super solver
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

TonyL69 wrote:
Thanks for your reply deans6571. I'm wired up via Ethernet cable so thought this would be better than actual wifi signal? the online virgin team tested the signal strength their end and said everything was as it should be with the signals etc. I have to wait now for someone to get back to me from virgin with another solution, if they can't sort it then I'll ask for a refund and have another old style TiVo box installed in place of the V6.

...before VM actually call you back - I would disconnect the ethernet cable and connect your V6 via wifi, to see if you still get the same issue. If it works fine over wifi, then you know the issue will be related to the ethernet connection as opposed to a potential fault with the box itself. Could also be a faulty ethernet cable - do you have a second one to try?

TonyL69
Tuning in
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I removed the ether ethernet cable and connected the hub to the V6 via WiFi. I then tested netflix and got the same msg pop up, I then rebooted the V6 to accept any change and tested once again but unfortunately that dreaded msg popped back on screen.
I then changed the Ethernet cable as I have few spare ones, did a reboot and tested Netflix again but guess what?...... the msg popped up again.

So you can see my frustration I'm having with getting Netflix to work on the V6 box. I have to wait up to 5 days for VM to get back to me with any suggestions or solutions as they will be testing and getting in contact with Netflix USA. Will be much quicker if VM just swap the box and test Netflix on the day of the swap to see if the problem still exists.

Thanks for your help though and suggestions.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

What's your actual speed if you run speedtest

0 Kudos
TonyL69
Tuning in
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Download speed is 204.21 mbps 

Upload speed is 12.33 mbps 

Ping is 12 ms 

More than the 200 mbs vivid package. 

0 Kudos
jonandmarkuk
Superfast
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

It sounds more like a HDCP issue.
How do you have the v6 connected, is it via an AMP or direct?
Some people have had problems with none 4k TV's where the AMP was trying to pass a HDCP 2.2 signal to the TV from the v6.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Internet connection.

If you go into 'System Information' (sorry can't remember which submenu) you should see an entry about HDCP. 
If that's showing as 'not connected' instead of a version, that's the issue.

Netflix insists on HDCP being active to play 'copy protected' shows.

HDCP is a pain!

0 Kudos