Menu
mbdrake
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Netflix UHD, LG 60" UHD TV and HDMI timing issues

I'm finding the Tivo V6 to be generally a lovely device, much nicer than the Sky Q Silver box I've come from.  However, one thing the Sky Q box never suffered from was how the box deals with multiple resolutions, esp. UHD.

There appears to be an issue on the Tivo V6 with the video output that affects UHD/4K output.  YouTube looks to be fine if using the default 2160 only setting, but Netflix UHD output looks to be suffering timing issues - not exactly jerky, but the eye is picking up some form of motion oddness.  If using the LG's native Netfix app in UHD, all is good.

So I tried a variety of different video output options.  If I select multiple video outputs, including pass-through, what can happen is that the LG TV doesn't seem to receive a signal.  It's as if it's saying, "Signal?  What signal?  I see no signal.  Fake signal." This can happen from starting the TV and Tivo V6 together, though to YouTube video (often if just using 2160 pass-through).  I tried 2160/2160 pass through, but that resulted in TV not picking up the signal from the Tivo V6 box coming out of standby, and the YouTube issue already mentioned.  But if I leave it in 2160 mode only, Netflix's motion timing oddness occurs.

In terms of live TV and on-demand, 2160 generally looks okay, but I have noticed some channels - especially SD channels that don't appear to have much bandwidth allocated to them - look better with 2160 pass-through than 2160 itself.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix UHD, LG 60" UHD TV and HDMI timing issues

Ill give you a "waiting for further clarification" answer first, and ask the question upline to confirm.

AFAIK- UHD on V6 is working but waiting for a firmware upgrade, which would explain the issues you are seeing.

mbdrake
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough - thanks!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Okay, I was getting UHD and HDR mixed up.

All UHD content should currently work on V6- the update will add more HDR functionality. So 2160 output should be fine for Netflix

WIthout sounding like 1st line support- have you tried an alternate HDMI port on the telly?

0 Kudos
mbdrake
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Rats!

Well, it's not a big problem as I've said.  I have the apps on the TV itself which work without issue, so I'll continue to use them.  Just a shame that V6 box is trying too hard dealing with video output.  I'd have it in 2160 passthrough, but as I've said, the V6 box must be sending very odd HDMI signals (or getting signals it doesn't understand) which means that it loses the signal from time to time.

This is one thing that the Sky Q Silver box does very well - never had any issues with that.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

To be perfectly blunt about it, there's too few V6's in the wild being used in conjunction with 4K kit to REALLY know what issues are going to crop up. Ive fed your issue back to the team responsible to have a look at, as much for as you say, it indicated there may be an underlying issue.

Thanks for taking the time to go through it in detail

0 Kudos