Menu
craigb1976
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Multi Room TV Using Tivo V6

Hi All

I have recently moved into a property that has been heavily renovated by the previous owner. Unfortunately they didn't install any TV or Ethernet points around the house.

I have recently had Virgin broadband installed and now need to reach a landing on TV package. I'm currently weighing up Sky Q and Virgin TiVo V6 and will base my selection on capabilities.

I have employed a local contractor to structure cable the house and provide a HDMI, CAT6a and power capability to support TV services in 5 rooms. These points will all feed back to a central hub in the room under the stairs. My preference is to have all TV equipment (such as boxes) installed in the hub.

Once the cabling is installed, is it possible to have two rooms fed from one V6 box located in a central hub? If so, is it then feasible to have 3 boxes in the hub to create 3 separate and independent "zones" (each zone controlling TV's in two rooms)? Does TiVo have a magic-eye style capability for remote controls?

Convoluted question i know and I'm struggling to find answers. Any guidance here would be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Multi Room TV Using Tivo V6

That's all possible, but you would need third-party equipment to do it, such as HDMI-splitters to feed two TV's from one box (that would be the same with Sky). The TiVo\V6 doesn't have magic eye built in but there are plenty of IR transmission systems available that would do what you want. The V6 box does have a Bluetooth remote as well as IR, so you might not even need the IR system depending on how good a signal you got to the boxes, and finally, both the TiVo and V6 support control over Ethernet and the TV Anywhere app for mobiles\tablets has a remote control function.

I currently have a simple multi-zone system (2 TV zones plus a third zone with audio only), control is through a Harmony Elite remote which is Bluetooth with an IR blaster and which is also linked to a couple of Amazon Echo's\Dots which allow voice control of the basic functionality (turning the system on and off and switching between different sources, i.e TV or Blu-Ray). My set-top box is tucked away in a cupboard.

By the way, a 3 V6 system would allow you to record from 18 channels at once and watch those recordings on any of the boxes!

0 Kudos
craigb1976
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tavis - thanks for this response, very much appreciated.

Its been a complicated process to firstly understand the TiVo capability and then instruct a contractor on the cabling. My view was just to wire each point with HDMI and CAT6a capability in the hope that the product would be fit for purpose. Your response has given me the confidence to push on with the project 

Have asked the Virgin team to pop round for a site visit on Thursday this week so i can kick start the ordering process.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

craigb1976 wrote:

Its been a complicated process to firstly understand the TiVo capability and then instruct a contractor on the cabling. My view was just to wire each point with HDMI and CAT6a capability in the hope that the product would be fit for purpose. Your response has given me the confidence to push on with the project 

Have asked the Virgin team to pop round for a site visit on Thursday this week so i can kick start the ordering process.

Thanks again.

All Virgin Media boxes also need to be connected by coax cable.

0 Kudos
MrSoton
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

shawty1984 wrote:

craigb1976 wrote:

Thanks again.

All Virgin Media boxes also need to be connected by coax cable.

...and this is qhere SkyQ nails it for me!  Having one box with 2tb storage, then basically wireless streaming devices (the mini box's) in other rooms, streaming content from the main.  Seems so archaic having to have multiple boxes with local storage!

0 Kudos