Menu
jtfab75
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

More then 3 metres between hub and tv box

At the moment my hub is on the back wall , I'm using Ethernet cable for about 5 metres to go round my room, this cable is then plugged into a Ethernet Switch 6 port next to tv,PC,xbox etc  , which is then connected to my TiVo box.

I was going to buy online but I saw the thing about 3 metres between the hub and TiVo box. 

I'm pretty sure I will be ok

i

0 Kudos
jtfab75
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: More then 3 metres between hub and tv box

Silly me, I forgot I had a spare powerline adapter (tp Link av500). So the Ethernet cable is longer needed. So it shouldn't be a problem now ! Or will it ?

jtfab75 wrote:

At the moment my hub is on the back wall , I'm using Ethernet cable for about 5 metres to go round my room, this cable is then plugged into a Ethernet Switch 6 port next to tv,PC,xbox etc  , which is then connected to my TiVo box.

I was going to buy online but I saw the thing about 3 metres between the hub and TiVo box. 

i

jtfab75 wrote:

i

0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I think the 3m limit is due to the cable provided by the installing engineer, if you already have an ethernet cable connected to you TiVo there shouldn't be any reason why you can't continue to use it.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

p.s. An Ethernet cable will give better performance than any powerline adapter especially if its cat6, and 5 meters is nothing in Ethernet cable terms.

there are about 10 meters a couple of switches and a router between my v6 and my sh3..

Norman_Law
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My modem is in an upstairs bedroom (study) and the V6 in the downstairs living room. There are two gigabit switches and a pair of powerline adapters between the two and streaming in either direction works fine.

home network.gif

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

jtfab75 wrote:

I posted previously asking about this as I have several gigabit switches connected by Cat 5 cables. My understanding is that it is all about ensuring that the V6 can access the internet with a performance able to support the speeds necessary for  UHD programmes. So one thing you could do, as I did, is run a speedtest from the PC if, as you say, it is plugged in to the same switch as the Tivo.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos