Menu
Constable21
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

MRS between V6 and TiVo

I've been reading various forums but am now completely confused about what setup I will need to MRS between V6 and TiVo so I can view recordings on either. Could someone please clarify? The V6 will be installed physically next to the Hub 3. The TiVo will be upstairs in a room which has existing coax cable connection and gets fairly good Wi-Fi, but a location where it's not practical to run an Ethernet cable from the Hub.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
adrianm758
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: MRS between V6 and TiVo

The older TiVo does not have wifi. You will have to use something like a powerline adapter to extend the ethernet from the hub to the old TiVo box.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/powerline/extending-your-network.html

0 Kudos

All Replies
adrianm758
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The older TiVo does not have wifi. You will have to use something like a powerline adapter to extend the ethernet from the hub to the old TiVo box.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/powerline/extending-your-network.html

0 Kudos
cjp1
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have 2 TiVo's and both are connect to my superhub by Ethernet cable. I can watch the recordings from both boxes on either box.

I looked at powerline as an alternative to running a cat5 cable but they recommend the powerline units are plugged directly into the wall socket and not an extension lead I would have struggled to do that so decided to run the cable.

My first box is right next to the superhub so just a short cable needed.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My current setup includes a V6 and a TiVo.

Having only one TV, my V6 is connected to that TV and the V6 is connected to my Hub 3.0 by powerline adapters.

The TiVo has no TV connected and is connected to the Hub 3.0 by Ethernet cable as it is sited close by.

I can watch recordings on the TiVo by MRS on the TV connected to the V6.

When we have watched all recordings on the TiVo, we will discontinue it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

cjp1 wrote:

I have 2 TiVo's and both are connect to my superhub by Ethernet cable. I can watch the recordings from both boxes on either box.

I looked at powerline as an alternative to running a cat5 cable but they recommend the powerline units are plugged directly into the wall socket and not an extension lead I would have struggled to do that so decided to run the cable.

My first box is right next to the superhub so just a short cable needed.

Running cable is the way to go.

But if you need a power-line solution, just search for "powerline passthrough" on your retail site of choice.  Those are the ones I used. CAT5E cabling now though as I finally got my finger out and ran the cables.

0 Kudos