Menu
digitalmad
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Lost of Wi Fi speed due to new V6 (TiVo) box ?

I had my SH2ac replaced by SH3 when I had my two new V6 TiVo boxes put into my home and I first saw that speed on all my items using Wi Fi was much slower then normal but as it was just before Christmas I let it go for a few days until Christmas eve and I was getting just 2Mbps after testing many things I found that SH3 had locked both V6 boxes at 54Mbps each and my laptop at 54Mbps too and yet my items linked by cable to the hub was OK.

I tested the V6 using UHD Netflix and laptop at the same time and i got speed of 2Mbps on each of my laptops I tested SO V6 must have nicked even more speed when i view UHD ...SHAME VM

I pay for 200Mbps yet now I am getting 96Mbps if i am lucky even if both boxes are switched off.

VM I wish to have my paid speed back so fix it that the V6 use your bandwidth not mine ...

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lost of Wi Fi speed due to new V6 (TiVo) box ?

Hi digitalmad,

Sorry for any current disappointment with your V6 Box though I hope to clear things up for you.( I suspect I should use it's full title - Virgin Media TV V6 Box, powered by TiVo®, but shall use the V6 Box abbreviation here on in for reasons of practicality.)

The V6 Box is connected via Ethernet cable to your Hub 3 and your wired devices are unaffected by speed issues so we can ascertain from this that there is no network or Hub related issue.

I have checked on your modem details and your Hub 3 sits on the same network segment as your previous Hub, so at least nothing has changed in that regard, and there is also absolutely no congestion affecting you.

The V6 Box has no internal modem so connecting it to the Hub 3 is akin to connecting up an additional other device - pc, laptop, tablet etc. Or two additional devices as you have two V6 Boxes.

So apart from that the other difference is the new Hub 3 and the related change in wireless settings. So I'd like to start with that please, and ensure that you're getting the best wireless connection that you can. Please follow the advice offered in the below links and post an update to let us know if it helps Smiley Happy

Bye for now,

*Disclaimer - I'm not awfully familiar with V6 just yet, I'm on a learning curve. I've mostly applied logic and the results of some research into my post above Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Zibs1978
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have the same problem, my wireless is only up to 80
Sometimes less then 10.
I did called VM and I've been told that new tivo v6 box eats all wifi. I'm very disappointed, hopefully someone will find out how to fix this issue.
0 Kudos
digitalmad
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have found that over time the Wi Fi signal has got a little better BUT the 2 V6 boxes seem to hog the Wi Fi bandwidth even when not in use as the HUB 3 still say that each V6 has 54Mbps held and my other Wi Fi items seem to go slower then in the past. And when the V6 use the Netflix UHD  service the bandwidth drops really low on all my Wi Fi laptops....

Please can anyone tell us here what bandwidth is put a side for each V6 and how much it does use when using services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer and other apps on the V6 ?

V6 switch on Bandwidth ? Mbps

V6 off Bandwidth ? Mbps

V6 Using BBC iPlayer , ITV Hub Bandwidth ? Mbps

V6 Using Netflix SD HD services bandwidth ? Mbps

V6 Using UHD Netflix bandwidth ? Mbps

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The stats reported in the Hub 3 GUI for connection speeds cannot be relied on. As far as I understand the V6 box does not 'reserve' bandwidth in the way you suggest.
barmyarmy66
Up to speed
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Oh the irony...

All 3 'help links' are dead...

😂
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi barmyarmy66, 

Thanks for pointing this out to us. 

There was recently an overhaul completed for our help articles online and since then the shortcuts we use no longer work. 

You can find the same information from the above links that Jen posted here instead: 

Wifi Help

Changing your Virgin Media Hub's wireless password

Getting the best Wireless Network Signal

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have a wired V6 and a wireless V6 both active - and Vivid 300 broadband.

I'm getting 320Mbps downloads on speedtest.net

I think you issues are something else

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
hindenm
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok I had the same problem. New V6 box, Superhub 2ac. V6 wired into hub and sitting side by side next to it. Wired speed 220, wireless dropped down to 15-20. Moved V6, placed on the floor to the side of my AV cupboard. Wireless speed back up to 200. As a test moved the V6 back Wireless signal fell. Conclusion, something in the new V6 is interfering with Superhub. Try it and see. Don't have to move the V6 too far.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hindenm wrote:

Ok I had the same problem. New V6 box, Superhub 2ac. V6 wired into hub and sitting side by side next to it. Wired speed 220, wireless dropped down to 15-20. Moved V6, placed on the floor to the side of my AV cupboard. Wireless speed back up to 200. As a test moved the V6 back Wireless signal fell. Conclusion, something in the new V6 is interfering with Superhub. Try it and see. Don't have to move the V6 too far.

You are not the only person who has noticed this, see 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/TiVo-box-not-connected-to-home-network/m-p/3479729

After months of faultless wireless service on my V6 it is now acting oddly while other nearby wireless devices perform normally.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos