Menu
Highlighted
JohnMBradford
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Loss of Tivo box and recordings

I've had the V6 box installed today, it all works well.

But (there's always a but... well several buts).  Why isn't the V6 configured for automatic aspect ratio correction?  Why do I have to spend ages finding out how to correct that?

I expected to keep the old Tivo box for use with a second tv, but I can't

I expected that I'd still have my recordings, but they've all disappeared with the Tivo box.

The engineer asked me if I'd been told that the hub should be close to the V6.  It isn't, it's in a different room.  I may now have to reconfigure my whole setup

So... why wasn't it pointed out to me that I'd lose my recordings and why wasn't I told that the setup works best with the hub near the V6?

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Loss of Tivo box and recordings

1. Most customers have the box set to stretch the image to fill the the screen, it makes sense having the most common setup as the default.

2. Why would you expect to keep the old tivo without paying for a multi room package?

3. It's pretty obvious that if a box gets taken away the recordings on it go with it.

4. Ethernet always has and always will be the best method of connecting over WiFi. Nothing new there.

I guess nobody told you as it's assumed you would know.
0 Kudos
JohnMBradford
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1. Most customers have the box set to stretch the image to fill the the screen, it makes sense having the most common setup as the default.  That's true, but do they?  How do you know?  Why would anyone want to distort the image merely to fill the screen?

2. Why would you expect to keep the old tivo without paying for a multi room package?  I don't know what a multi-room package is - I thought I kept the old box

3. It's pretty obvious that if a box gets taken away the recordings on it go with it.  No, that's not obvious. I didn't know the old box would be taken away and even if I had known, I'd have expected my recordings to have been transferred somehow by the engineer.  If you install a new computer, do you throw the old one away together with all your files?

4. Ethernet always has and always will be the best method of connecting over WiFi. Nothing new there.  I know that.  But I didn't know the box needs the cable and an internet connection.

I guess nobody told you as it's assumed you would know.  Yup, nobody told me - you've clearly understood my complaint.
0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

2. the old box is the property of virgin. it isn't yours to keep once it is replaced. as jb66 says, you would have had to have paid extra for a multi room package.
3. it would take hours to transfer over recordings to a new box, assuming they could. neither bt sky or virgin do this anyway.
0 Kudos
JohnMBradford
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK, thank you everyone.  I can only repeat, I thought I'd keep the tivo box, I didn't know it wasn't mine, so I suppose if I'd thought about it, the fact that it may take hours to transfer recordings wouldn't have mattered.

Virgin, take note.  Please ensure that you tell existing customers that they'll lose all their recordings when they switch.  Apart from that, everything works well, thank you.

PS, one final question if I may, purely for my own idle curiosity - why does the V6 box need to be connected to the hub?

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

The new v6 doesn't have a built in modem like the older boxes
0 Kudos
JohnMBradford
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you

0 Kudos
Gunga_62
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Read my post -- looks like we aren't alone... :

DO NOT believe the *********** that customer services tell you (ME) that the new V6S box once fitted can have the contents (FILMS ETC.,) transferred.....

I have taken a days leave to find out he hard way - IT CAN'T and to Hiss me of even more - VM will NOT issue a refund /reduction etc., on my bill through THEIR error

WHAT A SHOWER - what is the point of "customer services ??" the job title is a joke and the service is a disgrace - the only good thing is the engineer was sound as a pound and was also going to feed on my com
0 Kudos