Menu
JohnWB
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Looking for a silent V6 box

I have had my V6 box installed and it's not as quiet as my old TIVO box which you could not hear from more than a few inches.

I asked for a replacement but the one they brought was just the same and the Tech said they are all like that (which I suppose he would say).

Does anyone have a silent one in the Teesside area I could listen to please, so I can go back to them and say they are not all the same.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Looking for a silent V6 box

You won't get a silent v6 as they have a moving disk inside
0 Kudos
JohnWB
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My TIVO was quiet and that had a disk inside
0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

this isn't a tvo though. it is a v6. lots more going on.
0 Kudos
JohnWB
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not when it's just sitting there doing nothing, it's doing basically doing the same as the TIVO
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

you can't have silent AND mechanical ( thus spinning and vibrating)  hard drive

to get silent boxes you need fanless ones with solid state storage, like Fire TV, Roku 2, 3.  not the Roku 4 , that has a fan

but they achieve silence by streaming the content, not hoarding it next to the TV 

silent+ 4K support is a bigger ask but Fire TV box  can do it 

the best you can do with Tivo, V6 is put it a long way away with a long HDMi cable. in a cupboard would be tempting but they do need airflow to stay cool

you could buy / build a silent android box with an SSD  that could do download now watch later for BBC via their app. or you could abandon tivo and use the basic catch up TV functions silent on a NOW TV box - they are also silent

the suspension trick may also work. what silent PC builders do is hang the spinning drive in elastic cradles. you'd have to hand the whole tivo like that, but then no vibrations would reach the shelf it is on. most noise is from resonance. a simple test is to hold the tivo , V6 so that is it no touching any wood or glass surface & see what happens to the noise

0 Kudos