Menu
petemano
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Local Streaming Options for the V6 box

Hi,

I have a Virginmedia V6 box in my lounge and am able to stream my recordings to my iphone and ipad whilst using the main VM account to do so.

First question is whether I can get a secondary VirginMedia account to also be able to stream recordings from the box. (I don't want to give my children access to the main account).

Second question is whether VirginMedia has options to stream to another set top box in the home via wifi? Sky already has this and I'm sure that VM must either have this feature or is planning to do so. Does anyone know about when this will happen?

Third question - when is the download button going to start working on ios? Currently I can't download any show from the V6 box to the iphone to watch on my travels.

Fourth question - I can't stream any BT Sport recordings to the ios device. Is this going to change soon? Is it the BT or something in my setup?

Thanks in advance

Peter.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Local Streaming Options for the V6 box

Can't answer all your questions but the V6 can stream to another V6 box or TiVo (though the TiVo requires a wired Ethernet connection as it doesn't have wi-fi) (or from TiVo to TiVo) though both boxes need a connection to the VM cable network as well as a connection to your home network.

VM have actually had this feature on the TiVo for several years, long before Sky.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

For the TV Anywhere app, only the primary account can log in to the app, but the app should remember the sign in for a reasonable period of time, so you don't need to give anyone the details. Remember though the app is a combined streaming and management app, so once you've given anyone access they can do whatever they want with the box itself.

And only registered devices can stream and download shows from the V6.

In regards to the download button, it does work. However not all shows can be downloaded. You can see the currently available options for recorded shows streaming and downloading in this article https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
petemano
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tavis75. So what you are saying is that all boxes need to be cabled to the VM network and also to the internal ethernet network. Before the V6 box I had two Tivos which I networked together. So I know what you are talking about.

I was looking for an internal box that connects to a TV and the primary V6 box without needing to be connected directly to the VirginMedia cable network. I guess this is not available yet even though it is the next natural step. This is the main reason why the main V6 box can record 6 shows at once.

Thanks anyhow. Will wait and see what VM does over the next few months. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
petemano
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks BenMcr. I am not able to give access to the main app to my children. Is there somewhere I could log this as an enhancement request?

Also regarding the download button, I haven't found a single show that can be downloaded to the ios device. Is this something that VM are gaining more coverage on slowly? I guess they have yet to convince all the rights owners that it's all still secure.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi petemano,

Welcome to the Community!

Glad to see the guys have helped you out with this.

I've passed your feedback over to the development team regarding secondary account access.

Also, we're working with providers to continue to grow our service and hopefully get as much content available to download as possible. Watch this space!

All the best! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos