Menu
purnah
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Linking old TiVo box to new V6 to access old recordings

I had my V6 install yesterday. It replaced the TiVo in room A, and the TiVo was relocated to room B replacing a V+ box. I then wanted to watch the recordings on the old box in room A through the V6. I had read you can link the V6 to the TiVo.

This I did using a Powerline adaptor. The V6 plugs direct into the hub, and the TiVo connects to the network via the Powerline adaptor.

I looked at My Recordings on the V6 and the TiVo was listed but with a no entry symbol next to it. I selected it anyway and got an error message saying the TiVo box was too old and I needed a series 4 or higher box. There was a dead weblink in the error message to a web page (V120).

Any idea why I could not watch the programmes on the new box. I also thought my TiVo box was series 4, so am puzzled by the error message.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Linking old TiVo box to new V6 to access old recordings

As this fixed problems with box to box streaming for another forum poster today, then I'd say the first thing to try is to turn both boxes off at the same time, wait 30 seconds and then turn them both back on.

This should get them to recognise each other properly.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
purnah
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I didn't even need to reboot the devices. I just had another look when I got home and all my old recordings were available on the V6 box via the network link. Maybe it just takes a little time to get setup. The error message was a bit misleading.

0 Kudos
Nottswatcher
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I had a Tivo box which was becoming very noisy and 'dropping out' during playback sometimes. Virgin kindly offered to send me a new V6 kit.

So I received my new V6 box as an 'Install It Yourself' kit.

I now have the V6 and the Hub3 up and running. The old Tivo box is next to it, as I was told that I would be able to access recordings on it for a short while. I do NOT intend to put it in another room with another TV.

It says in the virgin TV booklet that I can access recordings on my old Tivo box for 14 days, so I have followed instructions and used a Cat5 Ethernet cable to link the old Tivo box to my Hub 3.

I can find the Tivo box in the MyShows menu on my new V6 box, but it says I can't play from it because it isn't in my Virgin account (V106).

It then tells me to call Virgin by phone to 'combine' my 2 boxes into one account. Is this normal, or are Virgin going to insist that I should pay for multiroom or something like that?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos