Menu
Duncan340
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Linking V6 to old TiVo

I'm sure this has probably been posted before so apologies in advance.

I got my V6 delivered yesterday and my old TiVo box put into the bedroom

Is it my understanding that both boxes can access each other's recorded programmes? I have stuff recorded on the old TiVo id like to watch on the new V6 in the sitting room. However I can't seem to see or access it on the box

I can however see the recorded programmrs on the Virgin media app on both boxes however i am still unable to play content from the old TiVo box on my phone either.

Any help would be appreciated Smiley Happy
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Linking V6 to old TiVo

The Tivo needs an ethernet connection (can be to a powerline or wifi extender if you can't connect it direct to the Hub).

All Replies
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Tivo needs an ethernet connection (can be to a powerline or wifi extender if you can't connect it direct to the Hub).

Duncan340
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ah that's great thank you. Running an Ethernet from the bedroom to the sitting room where the Hub is situated isn't practical so it'll have to be to a powerline or Wi-Fi extender

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I use a BT powerline with pass through (so you don't lose the socket). One sec I will search for the one  use.

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This is the wifi extender I use if you go down that route. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P7XV00O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the powerlines I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Broadband-Extender-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B00P7XV004/ref=pd_sim_147_2?_enc... (you need 2 as one needs to be near the hub). The 1000 I use.

Prefered would be power line adapters, but the hub and the Tivo both need to be on the same electrical circuit to use them. I can use a powerline upstairs but not downstairs as downstairs is a different circuit.

Duncan340
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ahh so you just plug that in near the TiVo or same plug as it has passthrough. Then connect with an ethernet. I wouldn't know if the other room is on the same circuit or not.

I live in an upstairs flat across one level. I'm guessing it should be the same :/

Thank you for the links Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Most likely would be the same circuit then.

One you plug in near the hub and connect that via ethernet to hub, then you plug the 2nd one in near the Tivo and again connect the Tivo by ethernet - they come with 2 ethernet cables. They say they must be plugged into the wall socket, not into extension leads although I have seen some in here say they use them in extension lead sockets and they seem to work OK). The BT ones have 2 ethernet sockets on them so handy to connect a laptop or similar too.

Duncan340
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ahh that sounds simple enough. Handy too as I'm guessing you can just plug them in anywhere in the flat. I could use the plug for my landing and extend the Wi-Fi to the garden etc if need be Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If the landing is on the same circuit and you would need an ethernet from the landing powerline adapter to the garden. Powerlines don't extend wifi per se.. Wifi extenders do that and whether or not a wifi extender could extend the wifi as far as the garden, I don't know. I have a large house and the wifi doesn't extend to the whole house without the wifi extender.

0 Kudos
Gmclayton
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Did you get this sorted? Just installed a V6 and both it and my old TiVo are connected to the hub by Ethernet. On the new V6 I can see my old box under My Shows (so far all good) but when I access it the message says this is not on my account and call Virginmedia on 150.  I did and was told you can only do this in America! This despite all the information I have for U.K. customers says you can. In one part I have seen it state it could be upto 72 hours before you can access it. Which is correct? Has everything on our old box been lost? I asked if we could revert to the old box and was told no!

Duncan340 wrote:

Is it my understanding that both boxes can access each other's recorded programmes? I have stuff recorded on the old TiVo id like to watch on the new V6 in the sitting room. However I can't seem to see or access it on the box

I can however see the recorded programmrs on the Virgin media app on both boxes however i am still unable to play content from the old TiVo box on my phone either.

Duncan340 wrote:

0 Kudos