Menu
Lippersham
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Linking V6 to a Sony Home Theatre Box?

Had V6 installed over the weekend. Installer ignored our Sony HT-XT100 sound system!!

I have the original Sony optical digital cable that worked perfectly with my previous Sky box, but it isn't the correct shape to 'conjoin' with the V6 audio socket. Does anyone know the details of which cable I need? Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
CDB1
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Linking V6 to a Sony Home Theatre Box?

Having just Googled the rear of the box, there is a digital optical socket so it should just plug straight in.
If you look at the rear of the box it's to the right of the yellow internet socket.
Make sure you have the optical connector the right way round as it only fit's one way.
0 Kudos
johnvc
Up to speed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've looked at the spec of the sound system and it appears that it expects to get the sound from the TV possibly by HDMI but there may be another way.
There may also be an optical out on the TV as well . My Sony TV has an optical out.
0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As far as I know there is only one type of optical digital audio connection, which should be the same between the Sky box and the V6, looking at the image of the back of the V6 there are two audio connectors, one labelled "Audio" which appears to be a standard 3.5mm headphone jack and one labelled "D.Audio" next to the power socket, which appears to be a standard optical digital connection that should be the same as the one on the Sky box.

Also, looking at the Sony sound system, it has three HDMI in sockets and one out, so you shouldn't even need the separate audio cable, just run the HDMI from the V6 into the sound system and then another HDMI cable from the sound system to the TV.

0 Kudos
CDB1
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've just pulled my box out to look at the rear and it actually has an optical digital lead connected, so it is a standard connector.

I've just been upstairs to look at the back of my Sky HD box and it has a standard looking optical (S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format)) socket sitting next to a coaxial digital connector (which looks like a standard rca connector)

In fact I've now just disconnected my lead and taken it upstairs and it fit's, so the optical connector on Sky and Virgin is a standard S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format) optical connector.

Are you sure you aren't using a coax digital cable (looks like phono connectors) That is not an optical lead.

If you are using a coax cable, then you just need to buy a digital optical cable.

Scroll down this page to check which one you have http://www.thehdstandard.com/streaming-technology/audio-connections/

0 Kudos

All Replies
CDB1
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Having just Googled the rear of the box, there is a digital optical socket so it should just plug straight in.
If you look at the rear of the box it's to the right of the yellow internet socket.
Make sure you have the optical connector the right way round as it only fit's one way.
0 Kudos
Lippersham
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple...although it should be!

The connection socket on the V6 is different from that on the Sky box, so the Sony cable doesn't fit....so no sound.

I think I need a different cable but don't know which one to get.

Anybody any knowledge / info on this?

0 Kudos
johnvc
Up to speed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've looked at the spec of the sound system and it appears that it expects to get the sound from the TV possibly by HDMI but there may be another way.
There may also be an optical out on the TV as well . My Sony TV has an optical out.
0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As far as I know there is only one type of optical digital audio connection, which should be the same between the Sky box and the V6, looking at the image of the back of the V6 there are two audio connectors, one labelled "Audio" which appears to be a standard 3.5mm headphone jack and one labelled "D.Audio" next to the power socket, which appears to be a standard optical digital connection that should be the same as the one on the Sky box.

Also, looking at the Sony sound system, it has three HDMI in sockets and one out, so you shouldn't even need the separate audio cable, just run the HDMI from the V6 into the sound system and then another HDMI cable from the sound system to the TV.

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You can get an 3.5mm dual socket that supports a normal 3.5mm headphone jack and an SPDIF/Toslink optical cable, just needs adapter for latter.

Also some TV's (my Pioneer Kuro 5090) only output 2 channel uncompressed PCM through the optical out socket not 5.1 lossy (DD/DTS) sound.

0 Kudos
CDB1
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've just pulled my box out to look at the rear and it actually has an optical digital lead connected, so it is a standard connector.

I've just been upstairs to look at the back of my Sky HD box and it has a standard looking optical (S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format)) socket sitting next to a coaxial digital connector (which looks like a standard rca connector)

In fact I've now just disconnected my lead and taken it upstairs and it fit's, so the optical connector on Sky and Virgin is a standard S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format) optical connector.

Are you sure you aren't using a coax digital cable (looks like phono connectors) That is not an optical lead.

If you are using a coax cable, then you just need to buy a digital optical cable.

Scroll down this page to check which one you have http://www.thehdstandard.com/streaming-technology/audio-connections/

0 Kudos
Lippersham
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you to all those who have helped with their suggestion over the last few days.

I've finally achieved a sound link between my Sony box and the V6. As CDB1 suggested, I re-looked at the sockets on the V6 and rather than trying the audio socket, I moved along to the Dig Aud socket at the other end by the power input. And, lo & behold, it fits the Sony cable. Easy when you're given the confidence to try.

Thanks to all again.

thanks to all