Menu
Sguest
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

LIP SYNC ISSUES!!

I switched from sky to virgin last Friday, but have problems with lip sync on some channels. Some channels are fine but some are quite far out. Have tried disconnecting soundbar but this hasn't fixed the problem. Can't narrow it down to HD or none HD either as it does it on both but not on all channels!!

Other than that and getting to grips with the menu it's fine.

How do we get this fixed? Do I need to get an engineer out? Pls let me know

Thanks
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: LIP SYNC ISSUES!!

I can't say I've experienced this with Virgin myself, but have with Sky on numerous occasions.

With that I just reset the box.  Maybe this is worth a try with your TiVo box ?

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Sguest
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hiya, have done a reboot and didnt fix it but thanks
0 Kudos
nexsen
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What type of TV do you have?  If it allows changing the audio delay (like Samsung and Vizio do) I may have some things to try:

Set the delay to zero and see if it helps.  Then add delay in the smallest steps and see if it improves or gets worse. SInce Samsung's delay steps are 10 ms and Vizio's are 20 ms you probably won't ever feel it is perfect.

I use a Felston DD740 which almost always lets me correct lip-sync perfectly but there are occasions when the audio arrives already delayed more than my Samusng's video delay (about 70 ms) and even with the DD740 set to zero it's still off.  Luckily that's rare but does happen.

You really need 1 ms adjustment get it prefect. Some people apparently need 1/3 ms steps since that's an option on the DD740 but 1 ms is all I've ever needed.

But if you have a Sony, Panasonic or Toshiba they unfortuantely add an audio delay to cancel the video delay of the screen but don't allow the user to change it or turn it off so you won't have the negative adjustment range (your TV's video delay) available to correct for arriving audio delay.

0 Kudos
nexsen
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I forgot to mention: If you have one of those TV's that add audio delay and don't give you an option to change it you can take s/pdif audio from each source directly to an AV receiver or sound bar and eliminate the delay your TV imposes but unless you insert a digital audio delay (like my Felston DD740 or similar units made by Alchemy 2 and Primare for lip-sync correction) in that path your TV's video delay will more than likely make the programs that previously seemed alright seem out of sync since the audio will be 60 to 100 ms "earlier".
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sguest

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry for the problems you're experiencing with the sound on your TV service recently. 

Nexsen has made some brilliant suggestions, as a lot of TVs come with audio delay settings. Although as you're only experiencing this with some channels it might not resolve the issue entirely.

I've located your account to run some tests on the set top box and we're not detecting any errors from our end at the moment. Are you experiencing this issue with more than one set top box if you're using more than one? 

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos