Menu
noiseboyuk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Keeping a 2nd box with the v6

I've read a ton on this, but fundamentally confused on a basic point.

I've had a single 1tb Tivo (replaced a few times) for several years, have a 3.0 hub, 220/20 connection.  The hub is not able to cabled to the v6 (or existing Tivo) although it's only 10ft away through a couple of walls.  An engineer is booked to install the v6 next month.  What I'd like is for the existing Tivo box to be ethernet cabled to the hub in our other room where the router is, and the v6 box be connected via WiFi (signal strength and speed is very good here - a staggering 150mbps on the macbook wifi).

Anyway, here's my question - is the engineer going to expect to take away our existing box?  We've never paid for a 2nd box.  There was no way to stipulate when booking that we want to keep the existing box.  Grateful for any help here, and thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keeping a 2nd box with the v6

If you want to keep the existing box as a second box then you will need to get this added to the order. There will be an additional monthly charge for this. Pricing can be a bit confusing but I believe currently a 2nd recording box where previously there wasn't one is £12.50 a month.
Stratman1971
Up to speed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If they are replacing your first box with the V6, why should they take the second box?

Just keep quiet about it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Suggest you re read the first post. The OP says they currently only have one TiVo box. So a straight swap unless a 2nd box is ordered.
noiseboyuk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks folks - wow, £12.50 a month to keep the current box?!  I'll contact them and see if there's anything they can do.  £92 a month after all, with no movies or sports...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As I said various prices get quoted for 2nd recording boxes. They keep changing and it may only be £7.50. The best thing to do is call them up and discuss all your options. Select the thinking of leaving menu as that team are the best for finding you a better package.
noiseboyuk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just spoke to an advisor - yes, it has to be mutliroom (they don't have an option to keep the box in the same room just to access the other programmes) and its an extra £7.50.  We'll pay it for a month to make sure everything we've already recorded is watched, then cancel it.  Feel like I'm giving Virgin quite enough money as it is.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Multiroom just means that you're paying for more than one box.

Where you have them installed is then up to you when the engineer arrives.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos