Menu
Keith836
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Keeping Tivo as Second Box in Bedroom

Could anyone please confirm if I keep my Tivo box in the bedroom the two facts below are correct, as I have read conflicting information:

1) All I need is a ethernet cable to connect, no need for a virgin cable to the second box

2) There will be no monthly charge for the second box

Thanks, Keith.  

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Keeping Tivo as Second Box in Bedroom

Keith836 wrote:

Could anyone please confirm if I keep my Tivo box in the bedroom the two facts below are correct, as I have read conflicting information:

1) All I need is a ethernet cable to connect, no need for a virgin cable to the second box

Thanks, Keith.  

You will need a VM connection which will be the coaxial cable, this is how channels are delivered. You will need ethernet or powerline adapters to connect it to the superhub if you want to stream between two boxes. TiVo has its own internal modem so you don't actually need an Internet connection to it. 

I believe there is a monthly fee to have the second box. 

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Keith836 wrote:

Thanks Shawty, 

You were right, there is a charge for renting the tivo as a 2nd box, it's an extra £7 a month on the deal I will be getting, but that is essential as my wife watches LOTS of TV, including in bed, and our current set up has a magic eye in our bedroom.   

As for connections, I have always had my superhub in another upstairs bedroom. That was meant to provide better wifi around the house, and I have never had problems with wifi coverage, including in the front and rear garden, which is useful. I have ran ethernet cables from the hub around the house to the sky box and blu-ray, which makes downloads nice and fast on 200mb broadband. So thinking about it, you're right, the Tivo downstairs works wirelessly. It is connected to a Virgin cable.

So I reckon the answer is:

1) New V6 box downstairs connected to Virgin cable and ethernet cable to allow streaming to old Tivo upstairs. 

2) Tivo upstairs doesn't need a Virgin cable or ethernet, it will connect to V6 box via wifi, but if I do connect to super hub via ethernet cable, streaming will be faster/more reliable.

I watched the you tube clip about Powerlines. That implied a Powerline was required for the set up I want, although I have also read the same thing can be achieved by connecting an ethernet cable to the superhub, which I can easily do. Would hardwiring the V6 box to the Tivo also work?

Afraid I'm still confused!       

V6 connected by coaxial to provide TV channels.

TiVo connected by coaxial to provide TV channels. 

The V6 box can connect to the hub by ethernet, wifi or powerlines. The V6 NEEDS to be connected to the hub as it has no internal modem. Ethernet is best but wifi works fine for me. 

TiVo can connect to the hub by ethernet or powerlines. TiVo doesn't have wifi. Ethernet is best. TiVo has its own internal modem so it doesn't need to be connected to the hub UNLESS you want to stream recordings between the V6 and TiVo. 

You don't directly connect the V6 and TiVo together, they connect to your home network. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Keith836 wrote:

2) Tivo upstairs doesn't need a Virgin cable or ethernet, it will connect to V6 box via wifi, but if I do connect to super hub via ethernet cable, streaming will be faster/more reliable.

The Tivo won't boot up without a coax cable connection to the VM network ( I have tried).  Even if you only want to use it for streaming to/from a V6 and have no plans to watch live TV on it, it has to have that connection.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

joshua_welby
Up to speed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, it will be part of the install

All Replies
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Keith836 wrote:

Thanks, Keith.  

You will need a VM connection which will be the coaxial cable, this is how channels are delivered. You will need ethernet or powerline adapters to connect it to the superhub if you want to stream between two boxes. TiVo has its own internal modem so you don't actually need an Internet connection to it. 

I believe there is a monthly fee to have the second box. 

0 Kudos
Keith836
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Shawty, 

You were right, there is a charge for renting the tivo as a 2nd box, it's an extra £7 a month on the deal I will be getting, but that is essential as my wife watches LOTS of TV, including in bed, and our current set up has a magic eye in our bedroom.   

As for connections, I have always had my superhub in another upstairs bedroom. That was meant to provide better wifi around the house, and I have never had problems with wifi coverage, including in the front and rear garden, which is useful. I have ran ethernet cables from the hub around the house to the sky box and blu-ray, which makes downloads nice and fast on 200mb broadband. So thinking about it, you're right, the Tivo downstairs works wirelessly. It is connected to a Virgin cable.

1) New V6 box downstairs connected to Virgin cable and ethernet cable to allow streaming to old Tivo upstairs. 

I watched the you tube clip about Powerlines. That implied a Powerline was required for the set up I want, although I have also read the same thing can be achieved by connecting an ethernet cable to the superhub, which I can easily do. Would hardwiring the V6 box to the Tivo also work?

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Keith836 wrote:

Thanks Shawty, 

V6 connected by coaxial to provide TV channels.

TiVo connected by coaxial to provide TV channels. 

The V6 box can connect to the hub by ethernet, wifi or powerlines. The V6 NEEDS to be connected to the hub as it has no internal modem. Ethernet is best but wifi works fine for me. 

TiVo can connect to the hub by ethernet or powerlines. TiVo doesn't have wifi. Ethernet is best. TiVo has its own internal modem so it doesn't need to be connected to the hub UNLESS you want to stream recordings between the V6 and TiVo. 

You don't directly connect the V6 and TiVo together, they connect to your home network. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Keith836 wrote:

The Tivo won't boot up without a coax cable connection to the VM network ( I have tried).  Even if you only want to use it for streaming to/from a V6 and have no plans to watch live TV on it, it has to have that connection.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Keith836
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both, 

So I have to have a virgin cable to the bedroom box, and an Ethernet connection to the bedroom box would be best.

Does the engineer run a second cable up to the bedroom box on install then? It would require a bit of crawling through the loft and drilling through the outside wall. Would that be included in the £64.99 install?

Thanks, Keith. 

0 Kudos
joshua_welby
Up to speed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, it will be part of the install