Menu
Nicki5
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Itv & channel4 catch up hd

Is it seriously not possible to get Itv and Channel4 catch up in HD? I have just moved from sky where pretty much all catch up is in HD and I just assumed virgin would be the same. 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
andyjstew
Up to speed
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Itv & channel4 catch up hd

Hi Nicki5,

Virgin don't tend to have a lot of HD content available via these services and other catch-up services due to the way they deliver their content, everything accessed via Virgin is done via the box connection and or broadband connection so they do this to keep their network less congested.

All the content is streamed over their network on-demand alongside the live TV channels, broadband and phone service so they have massive amounts of data going back and forth.

This is why Sky technically win as all the live channels and content is streamed one way continually via satellite so it only uses your broadband to access on-demand content, it doesn't carry live TV channels at the same time.

The new Virgin TV6 boxes have 100Mb dedicated to them for hd content etc and the apps on the box such as Netflix but the old boxes only have 10Mb.

If you have a smart tv / amazon fire stick or something similar i would recommend using this for access to HD content instead of directly from the Virgin box.

I know this doesn't answer your question but hope it sheds some light on it for you at least!

All Replies
andyjstew
Up to speed
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Itv & channel4 catch up hd

Hi Nicki5,

Virgin don't tend to have a lot of HD content available via these services and other catch-up services due to the way they deliver their content, everything accessed via Virgin is done via the box connection and or broadband connection so they do this to keep their network less congested.

All the content is streamed over their network on-demand alongside the live TV channels, broadband and phone service so they have massive amounts of data going back and forth.

This is why Sky technically win as all the live channels and content is streamed one way continually via satellite so it only uses your broadband to access on-demand content, it doesn't carry live TV channels at the same time.

The new Virgin TV6 boxes have 100Mb dedicated to them for hd content etc and the apps on the box such as Netflix but the old boxes only have 10Mb.

If you have a smart tv / amazon fire stick or something similar i would recommend using this for access to HD content instead of directly from the Virgin box.

I know this doesn't answer your question but hope it sheds some light on it for you at least!