Menu
hardboiled
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Is there a good reason why it takes up to 8 mins to reboot/turn itself on

Is there a good reason why it takes up to//beyond 8 mins to reboot/turn itself on? That's not an exaggeration. I'm sitting here timing it!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is there a good reason why it takes up to 8 mins to reboot/turn itself on

Well it's not the fastest at a full reboot (but the rest of its operation is lightning quick in my opinion).

It has to load the operating system, talk back to the VM servers, etc., etc.

However, as a reboot/power-on is not something that should be regularly occurring I suppose the time-penalty isn't that much of an issue - a wake from standby (the usual, everyday mode of operation) is only a few seconds.

Keith

Superuser1718.png

0 Kudos
mr_vpw
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

hardboiled wrote:

Is there a good reason why it takes up to//beyond 8 mins to reboot/turn itself on? That's not an exaggeration. I'm sitting here timing it!

I wish I knew how they've made a box that's slower than the old Sky service boxes. It's really really bad - and of course like all the other issues with Virgin Media post-sales support you can guarantee every time you call they'll want to waste ages rebooting boxes to unsuccessfully resolve a problem.

It's really really really slow - and I don't think the boxes are that fast afterwards either if you account for the hideous interface inefficiency.

0 Kudos
Nialli
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Mine seems to vary. When I first got the V6 it seemed to do a full reboot (with the Welcome screen) that felt like it took an age. Since I turned off the Power Save options though I think I've only seen a single reboot and that was around a minute, which is acceptable. The old V+ reboot took forever, the TiVo was better but the box was pretty solid and didn't need frequent reboots. The TiVo interface doesn't bother me; it's familiar and speedy and (for me) nowhere near as inefficient as some people seem to suggest. 

0 Kudos