Menu
BenWarr
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Is the V6 any good?

Folks,

We recently switched from Sky. We've found the Tivo box to be very slow responding to commands, and it can take quite a few clicks to get to where you want to go.

Is the V6 UI any better and, more importantly, is it fast? (Sky is instant).

Also, Sky and BT provide some football matches in UHD. I pay the subscription for those channels, will I be able to view them in UHD through the V6?

And, on the Virgin website V6 page Virgin says that, for V6 to work best, they will try to put an Ethernet cable between the router and the V6. Why is this and what is the implication if it's not possible?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can answer any of these questions.

Cheers,

Ben.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is the V6 any good?

BenWarr wrote:

Folks,

We recently switched from Sky. We've found the Tivo box to be very slow responding to commands, and it can take quite a few clicks to get to where you want to go.

Is the V6 UI any better and, more importantly, is it fast? (Sky is instant).

Yes and Yes

Also, Sky and BT provide some football matches in UHD. I pay the subscription for those channels, will I be able to view them in UHD through the V6?

Not at the minute. Both SKY and BT are only allowing their respective subscribers access to sports in 4K

And, on the Virgin website V6 page Virgin says that, for V6 to work best, they will try to put an Ethernet cable between the router and the V6. Why is this and what is the implication if it's not possible?

Because on demand and box sets use your internet connection to stream. Wired is best. Ive used it wirelessly without any issues, but its in the same room as my HUB

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can answer any of these questions.

Cheers,

Ben.

Tom20
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is the V6 any good?

Hi Ben, I got my V6 installed this morning (yes Virgin subcontractors are working Sunday) I feel I'm qualified to answer this one.

From what I have noticed in the last 8 hours is that the user interface is identical (I have not noticed any difference).
However it's bloody fast! You press a button and it responds instantly, loading Netflix takes less than a second on my box.

The footprint of the box is a lot smaller than I was expecting even after reading the dimensions!

My first impressions are very impressive, I'm very happy with it. Just imagine the original box working very fast (as it should of been) and that's what you get!

The new remote is slightly smaller and familiar too!