Menu
frontfoot
Tuning in
Message 1 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Is V6 box really only 1Tb?

I've seen a couple places where it says the new V6 box is 1Tb? Is that really true, after 3 years they are not increasing the capacity despite 4k content requiring more disk space? This means the new box will be storing less than the current ancient tivos?

Sky Q is looking more appealing if this is the case, but tbh I am not sure I believe it, I can't imagine virgin would release it with such crap storage size. So someone please tell me virgin aren't being that dumb and I am mistaken!

https://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/pvr-set-top-boxes/what-we-know-about-the-next-virgin-media-tv-b...

FreshOutTheBox3
Up to speed
Message 2 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is V6 box really only 1Tb?

I hope not. I'm hoping that introducing Series Link + and the fact that it also fetches catchup stuff and other items related to the series you have chosen, it ups it's HDD capacity to atleast double!

Rumors whirling around of 5 tuners so it would need a larger storage capacity to handle that amount of extra opportunities to record.
Fresh
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Series Link+ does not fetch catchup material (and use disk space). It merely puts a link into My Shows and gets the program in real time from On Demand or Catchup or Netflix or .....

0 Kudos
FreshOutTheBox3
Up to speed
Message 4 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Ahh well that's me trumped 😂
Fresh
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 39
Flag for a moderator

frontfoot wrote:

I've seen a couple places where it says the new V6 box is 1Tb? Is that really true, after 3 years they are not increasing the capacity despite 4k content requiring more disk space? This means the new box will be storing less than the current ancient tivos?

Sky Q is looking more appealing if this is the case, but tbh I am not sure I believe it, I can't imagine virgin would release it with such crap storage size. So someone please tell me virgin aren't being that dumb and I am mistaken!

https://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/pvr-set-top-boxes/what-we-know-about-the-next-virgin-media-tv-b...

Without wanting to be an idiot about it- you cant judge a STB by the specs in the current market. SKY have gone down the route of "Q as the heart of home entertainment" so ideally you need a massive hard drive to hold your data.Especially re 4K content (if it was available for recording- which it isnt)  They offer 2TB last time I looked. To put that in perspective I use 9TB ATM and that's in 1080P. Add in efficiency's in codecs- HEVC vs MP4  for example and it gets more complicated. 

0 Kudos
frontfoot
Tuning in
Message 6 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Although improved codecs can shrink file sizes, as you say Sky Q doesn't support 4K recording yet has a 2TB disk, you use 9TB for 1080 recording (I use 7.5TB too), I am assuming we can record 1080 with the new TiVo, all this further illustrates how lack lustre 1 TB is.

I do hope the 1TB is wrong as that is a deal breaker for me, they claim to want to outdo Sky Q, but if the disk is half the size that is a huge drawback for me (keeping lots of recordings is very important for me).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Im not saying SKY Q cant record in 4K- Im saying there's not much 4K content you CAN record ATM. And that whilst 1TB is clearly 1/2 of 2TB , when you take codecs into account it can make the specs pretty much irrelevant.

VM's offering has never been about "archiving"  your recordings, and we dont know what V6 offers. Smaller HD but unlimited cloud storage would be better than a bigger HD and none if you get me.

My fire TV has little  internal storage , but with a fat pipe, its shed-loads of "content"

cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 39
Flag for a moderator

+1

cloud & streaming is the way forward

if VM just put 3 months worth of catch-up in their cloud - all shows, all channels, that would take out a huge % of customers HD recording needs :- less disc use = less disc failures = less call outs so it's a win win

if you want to keep lots of recordings, go buy blu ray discs

I see that idiots in hollywood now want us to buy 4K bly ray players, having failed to sell us on the previous generation easy to scratch, hard to backup DRM infested shinys

DVD & blu ray box sets sales are tanking, I read, so look for Xmas bargains as the smarter retailers dump all their stock & move on..

PS- getting geeky - I know that the way amazon stream their 4k to fire TV boxes is with the HEVC 265 codec. & that uses only half the file size of previous get H 264 encoding. I wonder if VM and Tvio will take that route, or if the TIVO is under-specced for decoding that. Fire TV has a media chip that  hardware decodes HEVC.

I have tried a few HEVC encoded shows  on downloads: my intel i5 pcs with VLC cope easily, as does my plex server for real time transcodes to my tablets, but my previous pentium dual code struggled to playback 1080p HEVC

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

To put that in perspective I use 9TB ATM and that's in 1080P. Add in efficiency's in codecs- HEVC vs MP4  for example and it gets more complicated. 

more perspective on that. I was scoping our media stash to see if it would fit on a 500GB nvidia shield PRo, as a plex streamer. We have more that that, but when I listed out all the stuff we were realistically likely to want to watch twice, 500Gb was ample., even allowing 50Gb for the wife's photos collection! That's a mix of mostly 720p , some 1080p, tv series, movies mostly X264. If you take 1Gb per hour as an average file size, than a 1Tb disc using that encoding is good for 1000 hours.

Then with HEVC encoding , i reckon you could still fit 1000 hours on 1Tb with everything in 1080p. And I find it hard to see the difference between a purchased blu ray and a good quality but 1/10th of the size scene-rip download. So much so that I have now sold almost all of our blu ray collection & opted for the convenience of streaming via Plex to all devices instead.

but AFAIK sky have taken a silly ( in my view ) approach to recording they are using legacy codecs with minimal compression so to beam Sky Q recordings to other sky Q mini boxes in the house requres 20MB+ wifi and many folks will not get that speed through walls and ceilings . & they will fill up the 1Tb, 2Tb drives real fast.

the other approach I looked into, but discarded, was to get the v cheap amazon unlimited cloud storage deal, share credentials within the family, then we'd all upload everything & create a mega pool of shared video content.  The showstopper is that it goes onto USA servers and amazon small print says they can police it, delete anything at any time that they consider to be breach of copyright, and then ban you. Owning the source dvd / blu rays would be no defence. Not worth the risk-  and to rename, zip, encrypt all the uploads would be safe but way to tedious

0 Kudos
frontfoot
Tuning in
Message 10 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Cloud storage would indeed change things, but the link I mentioned above mentions 1TB and how many hours of SD you can record, it didn't mention any cloud storage. If they did offer cloud storage I would be happy, providing they can stream it down fast enough (would all their customers using cloud storage rally hammer than bandwidth?)

0 Kudos