Menu
Enduser
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Installation of V6 box.

I have been wondering about getting the new V6 box, but I am concerned about the method of installation in my house. At the moment my router is hard wired into my Desktop computer. The TV is some distance away, and I read that for best 'reception' it is better to have the router close to the V6 box. As I would still want my Desktop computer hard wired to the router, and do not want to run wires inside the house I wondered if there was any way to get a VM installation engineer to call on me and discuss the installation options before I sign up for the new V6 box..
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation of V6 box.

Probably not.

If you REALLY dont want to run a CAT5E cable, you can use powerlines or WiFi

Ive tested them both and they work fine. If you are using powerlines I would go for a decent brand and at least 1000 speed. But it works over a set of 500's for HD.

0 Kudos
Enduser
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

Probably not.

If you REALLY dont want to run a CAT5E cable, you can use powerlines or WiFi

Ive tested them both and they work fine. If you are using powerlines I would go for a decent brand and at least 1000 speed. But it works over a set of 500's for HD.

Thanks for the reply. I am wondering if a pre-installation visit is something that VM do, or maybe like to start doing. I remember some years ago I sent a Sky installation engineer away as he was insisting that a phone landline phone cable was connected to the box, the cable run would have been extremely unsightly, so I declined the installation completely, and went with VM
0 Kudos
normanLinux
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have Router in upstairs back bedroom, V6 in upstairs front bedroom and V6 in downstairs living room.

I can happily stream recordings from either V6 to the other via the built in WiFi on the V6 boxes.  (Which is all that it really needs connection to router for).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

normanLinux wrote:

I have Router in upstairs back bedroom, V6 in upstairs front bedroom and V6 in downstairs living room.

I can happily stream recordings from either V6 to the other via the built in WiFi on the V6 boxes.  (Which is all that it really needs connection to router for).

Ah, but your house may be diagonally smaller than the OP's.They may also have numerous walls in the way which block the signal. The V6 working over wifi is subject to the specifics of your installation only, which is why it is considered the last resort in terms of internet connection choice for the V6.

The V6 box uses the connection to your SuperHub to download EPG data, access app-based content (Netflix, YouTube, iPlayer, etc..), fetch software updates, as well as permitting use of the TV Anywhere app as a remote control.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos