Menu
ab195
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Installation - FAO Someone from Virgin

Posting here as I don't want a long debate through the call center gateway, and I am really hoping I can get some advice. I ordered an upgrade to a V6 package which was set to include two boxes in two rooms. I was advised over the phone that the second box (for our master bedroom) could just run wirelessly and wouldn't need its own Virgin point.

Fast forward over a month to today which was installation day and the engineer advised me this was not true. I would need a virgin point in the bedroom. He wasn't keen on a more involved installation, and bounced with the idea of a really complex installation he wasn't kitted out for I said I didn't now want the second box and he took it away with him. I rang customer services and was advised that this wouldn't cut the cost of the package as I'd been offered a very good deal when I upgraded. I was told I could still rebook the installation but I didn't feel I was talking to anyone who could engage with a discussion along the lines of "how do we avoid accessing by running a line through multiple rooms in a really ugly way". I am effectively now not taking advantage of something I want and was offered, mostly because I'm not an engineer and can't think how we'd do it efficiently. I feel like I was railroaded out of the original installation by the engineer just confirming my worst fears, and in retrospect I think I'd like to talk through the work properly. These problems must have been solved before - a lot - so what do I do next? And what would the solution look like. It's a bog standard 3 bed semi and I want the second box in the bedroom at the back, but right over where the tv is in my lounge. Is it possible to speak to someone at Virgin about what a solution looks like? There must be an answer that involves splitting the line inside the house and just going up one ceiling, rather the going up the side of the house, through an exterior wall and a front bedroom. Thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
fixerman
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Installation - FAO Someone from Virgin

I have three Tivo boxes, one old and two V6. On my house all cabling was achieved by running wires on the outside of the house and drilling through the outside wall adjacent to the location of the boxes. Bear in mind that for two boxes you will need to have the first one located near to your modem. That is the official position but many users find that powerline adaptors or wifi will suffice.

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have 4 boxes.. 2 V6s and 2 tivos.. all involve the cabling coming in from outside into each room. I am not sure how it could be done any differently without ugly cables indoors.

0 Kudos

All Replies
fixerman
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have three Tivo boxes, one old and two V6. On my house all cabling was achieved by running wires on the outside of the house and drilling through the outside wall adjacent to the location of the boxes. Bear in mind that for two boxes you will need to have the first one located near to your modem. That is the official position but many users find that powerline adaptors or wifi will suffice.

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have 4 boxes.. 2 V6s and 2 tivos.. all involve the cabling coming in from outside into each room. I am not sure how it could be done any differently without ugly cables indoors.

0 Kudos