Menu
LdGallifryan
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Information For V6 (My Experience)

Hi,

I am just telling you all what I know and found out about the V6 Box (Installations) and Worries..

Ok, so I ordered two V6 boxes on the 6th December to Replace my Current Two TiVo Boxes (1x 500GB 1x 1TB).

So the anxious wait and worry about my TV's Output's.. I was questioning myself since the date I changed my packages and stuff, every time I rang up because I was unsure on what I was getting and Cost of the Bloody thing(s)!... 

I got so many Quote's and such.... One being on the 1st December that I had to ring on Tuesday... 6th I believe.. And that the Boxes (2x V6's).. Just pay for Activation.. (£14.99). Getting to the day on the 6th December.. I found out and had to ring a few times got Three Quote's and was really bad.. One quote I swore over the phone.. (Mrs Browns Boys - "That's Nice").. Was £154.99 + £14.99-Activation... I was like [I was quoted £14.99]..

I hanged the phone up and rang back up 2 hours later.. Got re-quoted for £114.99.. For (2 V6's) included Installation and activation.. I thought OK isn't as bad as before but, still wasn't happy.. As on here we did not fully know.. And I was annoyed.

So I rang again and put through to Account Billing Other on (150) and told them and saw what they could do.. And they said a different price again... £104.99 and I said I want to be put through to retentions. So I was transfered and said I am really annoyed being quoted so many different amounts and threatened to leave.. So they said we could do it so you can have (2 V6's + Activation and Installation for £64.99) so I said that would sound about right and fair considering....

I changed my phone package and such... (Way to high tier for Phone) Talk Unlimited Anytime International... Never even realised that I could have called a few destinations for next to nothing... So one tier lower...

(So today I got the Installation for the two boxes) went well, but had to connect both boxes via power lines to my Asus RT-AC3200 External Router as I have my Superhub 3.0 in Modem Mode.

As the V6's need a Ethernet for the Installation Process... Beware!!! (Powerlines or a Long Ethernet Required to your Superhub or External Router) it took not very long to install.. Had to do one box at a time.

The remote is: a tad smaller... And the V6 itself is Smaller but, Slightly Higher..,

Switching through Menu's are Very Quick.. A very big improvement to the First TiVo Boxes...

Funny thing was for my installation was that when it came to my bedroom Installation Swap. My 50" Samsung Plasma TV Stand nearly Fell to bits (the back part of a Glass back Stand that holds everything together of the stand) on the poor guy that was installing the V6.. Didn't appear hurt but, if it would have broke my TV I might have hit him.. Lol.

• TV: Full House (XL) TiVo V6: (2x 1TB)
  • BB: 200Mbps (Vivid Gamer
  • BB Equipment: Superhub 3.0(External RouterAsus RT-AC3200x2 AV500 Netgear Powerline +Plug Socket.
  • PhoneTalk Unlimited Anytime Addons: Call Barring, Caller Display, Caller Reject.
0 Kudos
LdGallifryan
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Information For V6 (My Experience)

To mention about the Worries was the,

Not knowing if my TV's was compatible. Because of the HDCP 2.2 protection thing and being higher HDMI version than my TV is... 

I learned if you can run the Old TiVo box through your TV it can Run V6.

Another is to test.. If you have a Amazon Fire TV UHD box.. And it runs alright on your Non-4K TV or 4K TV it will work absolutely fine...

0 Kudos
MacmillaN
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@LdGallifryan, Thanks for posting your experience on the V6.

I am planning on actually looking into this after christmas, to replace both a Tivo 500GB & V+.

I am was slightly concerned regarding the boxes needing Ethernet connections, as my Hub 2ac is not located in the same room as the boxes.

Do VM advise switching the modem to the hub 3 at the time of the V6 install, just wondering as they seem to want to try and move users onto that HUB, even though it does appear to be having some serious issues, although some of them are outwith VM's control.

I could run two Powerlines from one room to another easily enough, but Virgin's Wifi is not always the best and a direct connection is apparently considered the preferred option by VM.(Shame the actual engineer would not run a direct feeds from the modem to the hub for the boxes - I wonder if they supply PowerLines if they struggle to get the WIFI connection working at the time of install.)

Also slightly concerning reading the mix-up regarding the pricing for the actual boxes.(Hopefully this get resolves fairly quickly!

I am on Full House w/Sky Sports/Movies - 200MB (Non Gamer)

I currently do not have a 4K TV, but am looking to getting one next year!

0 Kudos
LdGallifryan
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

MacmillaN wrote:

@LdGallifryan, Thanks for posting your experience on the V6.

I am planning on actually looking into this after christmas, to replace both a Tivo 500GB & V+.

I am was slightly concerned regarding the boxes needing Ethernet connections, as my Hub 2ac is not located in the same room as the boxes.

Do VM advise switching the modem to the hub 3 at the time of the V6 install, just wondering as they seem to want to try and move users onto that HUB, even though it does appear to be having some serious issues, although some of them are outwith VM's control.

I could run two Powerlines from one room to another easily enough, but Virgin's Wifi is not always the best and a direct connection is apparently considered the preferred option by VM.(Shame the actual engineer would not run a direct feeds from the modem to the hub for the boxes - I wonder if they supply PowerLines if they struggle to get the WIFI connection working at the time of install.)

Also slightly concerning reading the mix-up regarding the pricing for the actual boxes.(Hopefully this get resolves fairly quickly!

I am on Full House w/Sky Sports/Movies - 200MB (Non Gamer)

I currently do not have a 4K TV, but am looking to getting one next year!

Well from my experience I had to use a Powerline for the Setup .. To the V6 from my External Router (Asus RT-AC3200)

(Via Superhub 3.0 > Asus RT-AC3200 > Ethernet > Powerline > Powerline > Ethernet > V6)

Once the Installation is Downloaded + Installed and The Remote Control is Configured to your TV,

You then Press Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network > Change Network Settings.

if your just using your Superhub or Using Ethernet on External Router as Ethernet just Continue.

If your using a External Router or Superhub is Router Mode like I am.. Go to Other Options > Connect to WiFi > Let it search for SSID (Network Name) or Manually Enter the name if you know it or have yours hidden. > Input Password and it will connect and it will test your network bomb there you go your online and working.. (Hopefully)

0 Kudos