Menu
Rivals1980
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub and V6 box distance

Hi 

My super hub (100mbs spped so that's fine) and possible location for a new V6 box would be about 5 metres apart and I don't really want to start rearranging the lounge. Is there anyway around this as I have been told they need to be within 3 metres. Obvious answer was to run an ethernet cable under the carpet from the hub to the new box but the lady on the phone, who admittedly didn't seem to up to speed on things, said that wouldn't work for some reason. Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

Paul

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub and V6 box distance

They do not have to be within 3m.

The connection between V6 and Superhub can be direct Ethernet cable (preferred), powerline adapters or wifi, assuming a strong signal.

I would expect wifi to be more than acceptable for you, if you don't want to use a 5m Ethernet cable.

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It works on wifi no cable required

shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Rivals1980 wrote:

Hi 

My super hub (100mbs spped so that's fine) and possible location for a new V6 box would be about 5 metres apart and I don't really want to start rearranging the lounge. Is there anyway around this as I have been told they need to be within 3 metres. Obvious answer was to run an ethernet cable under the carpet from the hub to the new box but the lady on the phone, who admittedly didn't seem to up to speed on things, said that wouldn't work for some reason. Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

Paul

The V6 boxes have wifi so you can try connecting them by wifi. For reference we have the hub 3 and 2 V6 boxes and all 3 devices are in different rooms and they have no problem on WiFi. Just to add when they were installed the engineer insisted that 1 V6 box had to be connected by ethernet for the first startup. I'm not sure I actually believe that to be true as it makes no sense if the 2nd V6 box doesn't need that requirement.

Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have my main V6 on an ethernet to hub longer that 5 metres. Second is ethernet into a wifi extender which works fine. Wifi *isn't* always OK as my wifi without the extender does not reach downstairs (it's a largish house). I do think that people should not insist that wifi is OK as it wouldn't be under all circumstances. However, for you it may well be if only 5 metres and in the same room.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They do not have to be within 3m.

The connection between V6 and Superhub can be direct Ethernet cable (preferred), powerline adapters or wifi, assuming a strong signal.

I would expect wifi to be more than acceptable for you, if you don't want to use a 5m Ethernet cable.

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It works on wifi no cable required

shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Rivals1980 wrote:

Hi 

Paul

The V6 boxes have wifi so you can try connecting them by wifi. For reference we have the hub 3 and 2 V6 boxes and all 3 devices are in different rooms and they have no problem on WiFi. Just to add when they were installed the engineer insisted that 1 V6 box had to be connected by ethernet for the first startup. I'm not sure I actually believe that to be true as it makes no sense if the 2nd V6 box doesn't need that requirement.

Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have my main V6 on an ethernet to hub longer that 5 metres. Second is ethernet into a wifi extender which works fine. Wifi *isn't* always OK as my wifi without the extender does not reach downstairs (it's a largish house). I do think that people should not insist that wifi is OK as it wouldn't be under all circumstances. However, for you it may well be if only 5 metres and in the same room.