Menu
Reply
  • 15
  • 0
  • 1
k1s
Tuning in
773 Views
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How to only show favourite channels in v6 tv guide

Rather than having to scroll through the thousands of channels I haven't bought, I thought I'd be able to make only those that i have bought appear in the TV guide by saving them as favourites and then setting the guide to show only favourites... Which it does... but only until the TV is turned on again.  Then I have to press the blue button again and scroll through the menu options to select show favourites again. 

Am I missing a setting or something?... or is this some clever marketing minion's idea to try to convince me to buy more channels every time I use the guide by insisting on showing me what I'm [deliberately] missing?

 

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 8.72K
  • 595
  • 1.73K
Superuser
Superuser
750 Views
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to only show favourite channels in v6 tv guide


k1s wrote:

Rather than having to scroll through the thousands of channels I haven't bought, I thought I'd be able to make only those that i have bought appear in the TV guide by saving them as favourites and then setting the guide to show only favourites... Which it does... but only until the TV is turned on again.  Then I have to press the blue button again and scroll through the menu options to select show favourites again. 

Am I missing a setting or something?... or is this some clever marketing minion's idea to try to convince me to buy more channels every time I use the guide by insisting on showing me what I'm [deliberately] missing?

 

 


It's a  marketing minion's idea to try to convince you to buy more channels every time You use the guide by insisting on showing You what You're [deliberately] missing, They claim it's because there may be more than one person in the household who likes different channels






0 Kudos
Reply
  • 15
  • 0
  • 1
k1s
Tuning in
747 Views
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to only show favourite channels in v6 tv guide

That's disappointing.  Is that also why whenever you return to the guide it goes back to the top of the list [instead of the channel you're already on]?

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.68K
  • 25
  • 186
deans6571
Super solver
740 Views
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to only show favourite channels in v6 tv guide


k1s wrote:

That's disappointing.  Is that also why whenever you return to the guide it goes back to the top of the list [instead of the channel you're already on]?



......thats nothing new - the previous TiVo did this as well.

 I used to initially hate this on the original TiVo but after a while, you realise that it makes sense - you select a channel to watch and watch your program. When it's finished, it makes sense that when pressing the 'Guide' button, it returns to the top, so that you can then scroll from the very top of the list to find the next program to watch. 

__________________________________________________________
Twitter : @deans6571 / Xbox Live : Deans F
  • 15
  • 0
  • 1
k1s
Tuning in
738 Views
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to only show favourite channels in v6 tv guide

I guess we debate software usability at length, but to me it makes no sense at all - I'm in the "fewest clicks possible to achieve your goal" camp, and I expect to return to where I was, rather than to the top of a list of channels.  Anyway back to [imho] far superior Freeview/Freesat guide on the TV for me...

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 4.4K
  • 108
  • 1.22K
frank_gm
Community elder
733 Views
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to only show favourite channels in v6 tv guide


k1s wrote:

I guess we debate software usability at length, but to me it makes no sense at all - I'm in the "fewest clicks possible to achieve your goal" camp, and I expect to return to where I was, rather than to the top of a list of channels.  Anyway back to [imho] far superior Freeview/Freesat guide on the TV for me...


I am with deans6571 here. Returning to the top of the Guide makes perfect sense to me and, as for occasionally having to click the Blue button to get back to Favourites, I have more important things to concern me.

An argument against the "fewest clicks possible to achieve your goal" idea is that it often means that users have no idea about all the facilities available because they have such a limited view of a product. And that is from forty years in IT support.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
  • 15
  • 0
  • 1
k1s
Tuning in
729 Views
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to only show favourite channels in v6 tv guide

 

An argument against the "fewest clicks possible to achieve your goal" idea is that it often means that users have no idea about all the facilities available because they have such a limited view of a product. And that is from forty years in IT support.

hilarious!Smiley Very Happy 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 4.4K
  • 108
  • 1.22K
frank_gm
Community elder
724 Views
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to only show favourite channels in v6 tv guide


k1s wrote:

 

An argument against the "fewest clicks possible to achieve your goal" idea is that it often means that users have no idea about all the facilities available because they have such a limited view of a product. And that is from forty years in IT support.

hilarious!Smiley Very Happy 


What a well-argued case.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 15
  • 0
  • 1
k1s
Tuning in
717 Views
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to only show favourite channels in v6 tv guide


frank_gm wrote:


What a well-argued case.


No need to argue anything - just google "usability" and you'll see/learn it's all about users being able to do things effectively & efficiently. (Nothing about about creating extra work so users can find out about stuff they don't use.) 

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.68K
  • 25
  • 186
deans6571
Super solver
709 Views
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to only show favourite channels in v6 tv guide


k1s wrote:

I guess we debate software usability at length, but to me it makes no sense at all - I'm in the "fewest clicks possible to achieve your goal" camp, and I expect to return to where I was, rather than to the top of a list of channels.  Anyway back to [imho] far superior Freeview/Freesat guide on the TV for me...


....you do realise that by simply clicking the 'OK' button on your remote, will open the mini guide and will indeed  "return to where you were, rather than to the top of a list of channels" , right?

That's one click - can't get quicker than that.......

Smiley Wink

__________________________________________________________
Twitter : @deans6571 / Xbox Live : Deans F