Menu
Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How hard is it to get my V6 box?

A week ago, a received a carton containing my Superbub 3. It should also have contained my V6 box, as I had upgraded to both. I called VM and was told that the V6 would arrive late on Friday or Saturday. It didn't. I called VM again, was told by the agent that she had reordered the V6 which should arrive on Tuesday. Today is Wednesday, no sign of the V6.

VM doesn't send you the tracking number, so you cannot check with Yodel the whereabouts of your package.

And today I received an email entitled "Congratulations on your new Virgin TV V6 box".

I really have to wonder how competent is VM at what should be a simple task.

0 Kudos
Macdemon
Up to speed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: How hard is it to get my V6 box?

Mine's being delivered by VM themselves.

I'll let you know how I get on.

My other TiVo box is an iMac Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger_Gooner, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you haven't received your V6 box yet Smiley Sad 

Usually when upgrading your account, if 2 new pieces of equipment are needed an engineer is booked as we can't send more than 1 thing via Quickstart. I'm wondering if the team split the order to allow both to be sent to you. 

Since posting has the new V6 box arrived yet? 

If not, give the team a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111 so they can take a look at this for you. 

Apologies once again. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I made a third call to chase up the V6 delivery, was told that it had been delivered. No, it hadn't, I said. The agent said he'd speak to customer service, came back and said that the order had been cancelled. He could reorder and it would be a technician to do the install. I said that I'm quite capable of self-install, but the agent said that's how they (CS?) want it done.

So, I have an install date next week.

What a palaver.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger_Gooner

I'm so sorry for the problems you're experiencing in chasing your V6 box. 

I'd like to take a closer look at this but I've not been able to locate your account to take a closer look unfortunately. So I can do that, could you respond to the private message I've sent with the requested information? 

You can view the message by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon

craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger_Gooner

Thanks for getting back to me, I've taken a look at your account and can see the manned install was completed a few days ago, did the attending engineer bring and install the V6 box? 

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, he came round and installed the V6 box. I connected it wirelessly to my router as I don't need more cable clutter and don't need high-speed broadband just to get On Demand (rarely watched), apps (rarely streamed) or EPG updates. I made a few changes:

• Turned off the annoying beeping on key presses.
  • Changed aspect from full screen to panel (why default to stretched pictures rather than keep the original aspect ratio).
  • Changed video output from 1080p to 1080i so that 1080i is passed to my plasma TV which does upscaling to 1080p instead of the V6. There is still no way to set the V6 to pass through both SD 576i and HD 1080i to a TV, something which VM has also ignored with the TiVo for years.

The V6 is much quicker to respond to key presses than the TiVo. I also tested YouTube and iPlayer, which are much better than the horridly slow versions on TiVo.

Of course, unlike its V+ and TiVo predecessors,  the V6 lacks a SCART socket. VM seems not to care or be aware, as does Sky and BT, that anyone with a UHD-capable box would have legacy devices which would need to be connected to their sleek little boxes. I have a DVD recorder whose main input socket is SCART, and HDMI inputs were banned by the powers that be ages ago. So, to record I have to have an HDMI splitter and an HDMI to SCART converter. Thanks a lot, VM.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Roger_Gooner wrote:

Of course, unlike its V+ and TiVo predecessors,  the V6 lacks a SCART socket. VM seems not to care or be aware, as does Sky and BT, that anyone with a UHD-capable box would have legacy devices which would need to be connected to their sleek little boxes. I have a DVD recorder whose main input socket is SCART, and HDMI inputs were banned by the powers that be ages ago. So, to record I have to have an HDMI splitter and an HDMI to SCART converter. Thanks a lot, VM.

I'd expect that it's connected to this rule within the HDCP 2.2 spec for Content Type 1:
https://www.digital-cp.com/sites/default/files/resources/HDCP%20Repeater%20Implementations.pdf

The HDCP Repeater may NOT:

• Re-encrypt onto a lower HDCP version (HDCP 2.2->HDCP 2.0 or 1.x)
  • Output the content to ANY non-HDCP Protected Interface; including:
    Other Content Protection (DTCP, MacroVision, etc.)
    Any analogue interface (component, composite, etc.)
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:

Roger_Gooner wrote:

I'd expect that it's connected to this rule within the HDCP 2.2 spec for Content Type 1:
https://www.digital-cp.com/sites/default/files/resources/HDCP%20Repeater%20Implementations.pdf

The HDCP Repeater may NOT:

• Re-encrypt onto a lower HDCP version (HDCP 2.2->HDCP 2.0 or 1.x)
  • Output the content to ANY non-HDCP Protected Interface; including:
    Other Content Protection (DTCP, MacroVision, etc.)
    Any analogue interface (component, composite, etc.)

It's nothing to do with HDCP 2.2, which is designed to prevent illegal copying of 4K Ultra HD content. My V6, and my TiVo before it, received TV content at 576i and 1080i, with video output set to 1080i. No VM TV box which outputs 1080i requires HDCP 2.2 compliance.

0 Kudos