Menu
Abbafan1972
Tuning in
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Help with 2nd V6 Box Connection

Hi there,

We are due to have Virgin TV/Phone/Broadband fitted on the 18th Feb and I have a couple of questions before this happens:-

1. How does the 2nd V6 box get connected, which will be in the bedroom?  Would it be by ethernet to the other box, or by ethernet to the Broadband router, or by powerline adapters?

2.  If it's powerline adapter, who supplies and pays for these please?

The 2nd box will be in a room directly above the 1st box, which is in the lounge.

Looking forward to a reply soon.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help with 2nd V6 Box Connection

both boxes need t be connected to the VM network by coax cable. the v6 box can connect to the internet by wifi but powerline or ethernet is recommended for streaming
0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:
both boxes need t be connected to the VM network by coax cable. the v6 box can connect to the internet by wifi but powerline or ethernet is recommended for streaming

I've still yet to see where it states powerlines are preferred. In fact in these very forums VM staff were stating powerlines were least preffered. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

ethernet is best. Powerline is better then wifi
0 Kudos
Abbafan1972
Tuning in
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Does the engineer on the day connect the ethernet from one box to the other please?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

no the engineer will only connect the coax to the VM network. The boxes will connect by Wifi but depending on how good the wifi is and now many devices are using wifi (in the area not just yours) you might find it slow to stream on demend content.
0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:
ethernet is best. Powerline is better then wifi

I know ethernet is best but powerline is better than wifi is debatable. That still doesn't answer where it states powerlines are preferred over wifi to stream. Again in these very forums VM staff were stating powerlines are least preffered for the V6 boxes. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

show me where they said wifi was better than powerline?

You can use wifi it will work for standard TV as all it will use the connection for is the TV guard is you do not use streaming services
0 Kudos
kirk1690
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Got two v6 coming on tuesday ,tell me why these boxes need an internet connection again , I could research this myself but then we wouldn't need forums .Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

for EPG updates software updates and On Demand. without it being connected to the internet it will not work.