Menu
Up to speed
Message 1 of 20 (510 Views)

Has anyone got well functioning Tivo 6?

I've had a Tivo for a few year and it hasn't been without problems, I think I'm on my fourth replacement so I'm pondering getting the V6 but reading the forum I'm having second thoughts.

I know 'everyone' with problems will complain while few with a perfect box wont bother to post about it.

The web page says I can upgrade for a one off charge of £65 which seems reasonable as long as the engineer doesn't have to take up residence.

I currently have a 1 TB Tivo & V+, am I correct that they will take away the V+ and replace it with my current Tivo, nothing would be too complicated as the Superhub and Tivo sit under the TV, I understand that it uses my 200 meg broadband connection, has anyone noticed a drastic reduction in speed for other uses and as 3 of the 4 Superhub ports are in use now if I needed another thing to connect at a later time does the V6 do a wifi connection?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Superuser
Message 2 of 20 (506 Views)

Re: Has anyone got well functioning Tivo 6?

My V6 has been fine, they will replace the V+ with the Tivo but make sure that you tell the operator that's what you want so their is no confusion, it makes no noticeable difference to the SH speed provided you're not in a congested area and yes it does Wi-Fi

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 3 of 20 (504 Views)

[ Edited ]

My V6 has preformed perfectly. No issues what so every with anything on it, Netflix, Youtube, iPlayer and the likes are ultra fast to load and as it uses my 200Mb connection I get no buffering. My Older style TiVo box in the kitchen will more then likely be changed for a V6 soon. 

My V6 is currently connected WiFi to my Superhub 2AC. 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 4 of 20 (498 Views)

I have had the occasional crash, but on the whole it has worked well without any other problems.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 20 (497 Views)

Mine was installed two days ago so it might be early days to say it works perfectly but, so far so good. One thing I was misled about by the sales person was transferring my unwatched programmes from my old Tivo which was being swapped with the V6. I clearly remember her saying that the engineer would copy across unwatched programmes. The engineer said that can't be done due to copyright issues and I think this has been thrashed to death on this forum. Not too worried as nearly everything is available on catchup.

Engineer was pretty thorough and installing the V6 and Hub took about an hour and a half. No noticeable effect on bandwidth.

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 6 of 20 (477 Views)

Two months on and I have had no problems. My connection is via either WiFi or ethernet and both work well.

Just make sure that the engineer does a thorough job and does not leave until the work is finished. I suspect that some of the problems reported here are because the installation is not completed properly.

Nice to be able to post again, after their "mistake".
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 20 (453 Views)

If taking away a V+ won't there be an additional charge per month for the V6? 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 20 (445 Views)

My V6 has been in less than 2 weeks and the engineer is coming out to hopefully replace it Monday.  There are numerous problems . the latest last night I was trying to watch 'Elementary' recorded on Tuesday. About  10 minutes in everything crashed and the box went into standby and would not reboot without turning the power off and on. Tried again and exactly at the same point in the program the V6 crashed. Ended up watching the programme on catch up.

The previous evening I wound on a programme on iplayer and then the remote wouldn't work. The programme wound on to the end and then everything locked up.

Not very happy at present.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 20 (410 Views)

The rebooting of the V6 box on some recordings is a known problem which a new box shouldn't fix as I believe it happens to everyone. 

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 10 of 20 (406 Views)

lesabbott wrote:

My V6 has been in less than 2 weeks and the engineer is coming out to hopefully replace it Monday.  There are numerous problems . the latest last night I was trying to watch 'Elementary' recorded on Tuesday. About  10 minutes in everything crashed and the box went into standby and would not reboot without turning the power off and on. Tried again and exactly at the same point in the program the V6 crashed. Ended up watching the programme on catch up.

The previous evening I wound on a programme on iplayer and then the remote wouldn't work. The programme wound on to the end and then everything locked up.

Not very happy at present.

The Elementary problem has been much discussed on this forum. Since the problem happens around the same time in to the programme each week, with the same issue on another Sky programme, It would appear that there is something embedded in the datastream that is causing the problem.

Nice to be able to post again, after their "mistake".
0 Kudos